460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined up and thought Id say hi and tell ya about my ride

1979 F150 460 stroked to a 514 ,Ford Motorsport alum Cobrajet heads, Manly ss valves, Comp roller rockers, 649 lift solid cam, Pete Jackson noisey gear drive, Milodon 10 quart pan, NOS Sniper system, Victor 460 intake, Holley 1050 Dominator, GM Turbo 400 tranny with ultra bell package to addapt the Chev tranny to the Ford block, 5000 stall Neal Chance convertor, full manual rev pattern race preped, 31x16.50R15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets, Centerline convo pro wheels, narrowed Ford 9" with 5.00 gear, Bears 3 link coilover rear suspension, Bears pro street axles, mustang rack and pinion, dropped 5" front and 7 rear, cross drilled/slotted rotors, full cage, Harwood fuel cell, Jazz seats with 3 point harness, and a bunch of other things

more pics here http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/mygallery.asp?select1=mygallery.asp?id=9008&album=1&id=9008

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Nice truck, I have a 79 myself!

I take it those headers were custom made?

Do you have any pictures of your front end conversion? (I found some)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes headers were custom built

The front suspension consists of new stock coils cut 2 1/2" the factory I beams cut and dropped 2 1/2" with a manual rack from a 1988 mustang converted the truck to front steer from rear steer

here is a link to the build of my truck if anyone wants to see it

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/topic.asp?pos=1&id=436049

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I'm really digging the steering setup! I thought at first you put a complete mustang front suspension on.

Did you just swap spindles from side to side?
If so, how do the brakes work?
Is it bad about bumpsteer?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
swap spindles side to side had to modify them still to correct geometry

bump steer is not a issue steers nice, no slop like the old manual steering it had good 1/8 of a turn in play with the old set up and rag joint
made a custom steering shaft with ujoints and shortened the column 4 inches to make it easier to get in and out over the roll bars

brakes are the same as befor I dont notice any difference.. stops good..I plan on doin a rear disk set up still as soon as I find everything I need to do it Im not a fan of drum brakes

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dang nice job! The effort you put in to it really shows. Welcome to 460forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts