460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site so I figure I will introduce myself. My name is Jarred Hodges, I am 19 and live in dora alabama. I have fooled with cars since I was around 13. I have a 71 F-100 that I got when I was 17. Me and dad found it by mistake. We stop and look at it. The guys shows it to us and when he opened the hood I saw a 390 with edelbrock intake, holley carb, headers and so on. So we managed to buy the truck and I soon find out the engine was nothing like I thought it would be. A couple months later I am having a bad day and press the gas through the floor and a few seconds later here something let go. I see the oil pressure drop and its smoking. I limp it home and find out I broke the rocker arm shaft. He redo the heads and I get it going again. Later on I install a edelbrock performer plus cam. I had some more trouble and listed the truck for sale a bunch of times because I hated the 390. That brings us up to now. With my uncles help we got the old fe to run decent but by then it developed a tick. I was wanting to swap in another engine but could never find a good deal on a 460 until a couple weeks ago. I haul scrap to make extra money and am friends with the yard onwer. I go one day and see an old 76 f-150 and don't think much about it. I figured just another 302 truck. I open the hood and ask him about it. He says somebody had it loaded with scrap and drove it in here. I ask him how much and he says $400 and I say sold. I come back later that day and buy it. I put a battery on it and it cranks but seems to miss. I put another ignition box on it and clean the plugs and it runs great. I plan to swap the 460 c6 into my 71 f-100 after I get my 72 maverick going again. I plan to install a cam, aluminum intake and headers on the 460 and call it good. Anyway here are some pics of the trucks.
My 71, my dad is looking at a tree for some reason. lol

parts truck

think it was time for a new ignition box

you gotta test a engine out don't you

old 390 that will be pulled after I finsih the maverick

here is my other project a 72 maverick that I swapped a 351w into engine has flat tops, .523 lft extreme energy cam, c9 heads, roller rockers, victor jr intake, c4 10 inch ptc converter. It was my 1st car that I drove, originally had a 250 c4 in it
original engine

new engine

still have some more work to do on the headers. Anyway those are my projects and I am glad to be a member

·
Registered
401 Posts
welcome jarred!!!!19 yrs old and building old fords.its refreshing to hear from a young man with his head on straight!! most kids your age believe the fast and furious crap,if you need any help there is a bunch of old guys that know their stuff,and will lead you in the right direction.good luck.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Jarred,

Welcome i seen you over on the Yellowbullet asking about 460's.Did that 1976 F-150 come from the factory with the 460 if so it's probably kind of rare.I see you cut the shock towers back on the Maverick 302's are pretty tight in those cars.My brother had a 1974 Comet that my cousin owns now that had a 351 Cleveland in it.

Later Mark[Here's a couple pictures of my car]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some of the 70's f-150's came with a 460. The parts truck is fixable but not really worth it unless you needed a work truck. It will get picked clean before it goes probaly just a bare frame and rusty bed. dad is going to use the car and front clip on one of his future projects

·
Registered
728 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That is a beautiful truck you have there, I kinda miss the '67 I just sold a few months back after seeing yours.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Your father looks like Red Green trying to figure out what he's going to make out of that tree.(I love that guy!)LOL.Welcome aboard.
Russ

·
Registered
618 Posts
welcome jarred!!!!19 yrs old and building old fords.its refreshing to hear from a young man with his head on straight!! most kids your age believe the fast and furious crap,if you need any help there is a bunch of old guys that know their stuff,and will lead you in the right direction.good luck.
LOL. Not everyone on here is an old man.. I'm only 23 :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to mustang 2 clip the maverick since everything is way to tight. Now I wish I had built a 460 for it lol. Anyway I plan to get it running with the 351w and build a 460 later on.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Jarrod,Put the BBF in the Maverick,Thats the HOT setup,unless you do it like the White truck in this thread:) And don't say it won't fit:eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jarrod,Put the BBF in the Maverick,Thats the HOT setup,unless you do it like the White truck in this thread:) And don't say it won't fit:eek:
I plan on using the 351w so I can run the car and then build a 460 probaly next winter or so. I have to let the finances recover. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts