460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some new laws are in effect in Ohio starting today.
1.Truckers are allowed to drive 65 mph. same as cars where its allowed.:)
2.If its raining your headlights must be on:)
3. if your wipers are on your headlights must be on:confused:
4.when approaching a tow truck at the side of the road, you must change to far lane :)
Possibly more I haven't heard about.

·
Registered
429 Posts
All of them sound reasonable except for the Semi's running the same speed as everyone else. IMO,.....they need to run at least 5mph (really needs to be 10) slower than everybody else on the road.

I can't stand riding beside one of those large trucks on the interstate. I worry about a tire blowing out & schrapnel (sp) flying through my window and killing me. Not to mention, the stopping distance is greatly reduced when they allow them to increase their speed.
There will be a lot more accidents/fatalities with that law in effect,......I gaurantee it.

I always get away from those big trucks if at all possible. Whether I have to break the speed limit or not. My life is worth more than a measly traffic citation.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some new laws are in effect in Ohio starting today.
1.Truckers are allowed to drive 65 mph. same as cars where its allowed.:)
2.If its raining your headlights must be on:)
3. if your wipers are on your headlights must be on:confused:
4.when approaching a tow truck at the side of the road, you must change to far lane :)
Possibly more I haven't heard about.
And your point is ????
Neil

·
Registered
555 Posts
x2 on the tire blowing, I got hit by a small piece one time, but fortunately was a passenger and not the driver. Even a small piece left a welt! I wonder how fast they will drive now, most did ~70 on the highway already.

Glad I have daytime running lights.

Ohio sucks.
that does suck!......I ride a dyna low rider religiously!...year round. I was behind a semi once coming from Port Arthur tx. back to la. when the truck ran over an entire front airdam off a rice burner...when It came out from under the truck all I could do is grit my teeth and say oh sh*t!!......I caught it in the middle and it folded around my bike beating and slapping the crap out of me before it slid up and over the windshield of my bike. That windshield stays there permanently now!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Do I have to have a point? I was just saying there was some new rules in Ohio starting today, Good/bad. :rolleyes:
I knew what you ment Rick it was for the people that live or drive through there, so that they would know the laws, and thanks I dont live there but it is nice to know that there are people out there that acctually care about others rather than only there self

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Not to get defensive, but the truck drivers are the profesionals on the road, I drove for 6 years and never had a tire blow once. Maybe it was luck, maybe it was my pretrip inspections.

I always felt that having a large diff in speed between the trucks and cars caused a lot of issues when the trucks have to step out to get around a cop or broke down car on the side of the road. I always figured it was better to slow down the fast lane as I drove the speed limit than to scare the sh*t out of someone on the side of the road:eek:.

I always drove the speed limit in all the states, there isn't enough money in it to be paying speeding tickets.

Ohio was never a place to speed through, the "polar bears" are merciless to truck drivers.

Just my .02

Bill

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
That is true what bill said truck drivers have to have physicals and take severial other test to be able to drive, they have so many limits and every thing else, and from working in construction and I know my loads were no where near what theres are, but I know that there is as good of a chance to have a blow out at low speeds as it is in highspeeds

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
1,2,3, are laws in NY for some time , 4 don't know but is a good one. always try to get in the left lane if any car/truck is pulled over. 65 for the trucks is not a big deal

·
Registered
515 Posts
In CA, the trucks & anyone towing a trailer are restricted to 55, cars to 65, sometimes 70. When you are on a freeway & a truck wants to pass another truck at a differential speed of 2 MPH or so, it backs the cars up for miles, then the left lane lemmings never move over & those of us wanting to do 75 or so are bottled up... Driving interstate, I loved the trucks going 75. Kept everything flowing nicely.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I thought it was real funny when I went through TX for the first time. The speed limit was 65 daytime, 55 night time, and 45 for mobile homes!!

Bill

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Not to get defensive, but the truck drivers are the profesionals on the road, I drove for 6 years and never had a tire blow once. Maybe it was luck, maybe it was my pretrip inspections.

Ohio was never a place to speed through, the "polar bears" are merciless to truck drivers.

Just my .02

Bill
Not to start a fight, but that is you and not all the truck drivers. It was probably more your responsibility of doing "pre-trip" inspections. If you made the drive I did everyday (until getting laid off) you might see why the "polar bears" are merciless in Ohio.

1. Fedex double pup drivers going from 75 to 275 come off the exit at 70-75, even when it was a 2 lane construction site with a 50mph limit.

2. I watched a truck driver leave one of my former workplaces knowingly overload his truck and so bad that one wheel would not turn. Seen him flipped over later that day on the way home.

3. When I worked in receiving I can't tell you how many drivers came in drunk/high. We had to kick one trucking company out from some of their issues.

4. We have a large "pay per load" gravel quarry out this way, and those guys have one priority, they don't give a crap what gets in there way. Rick knows what one I refer to if I am a betting man.

You might be a responsible truck driver but it concerns me knowing how some of these guys drive already, just how much more I have to put my life at risk to get to work. I have been driven off the road by semi's on the highway about 3 times in the past year.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
dang! I hope #3 isn't a law here in Iowa. I NEVER turn on my headlights when I squirt the windshield with washer fluid to wipe off the dust, pollen, and/or bug guts. I mean, if it's a bright sunny day, what's it matter? Does it just apply to front wipers or also to rear window wipers? I usually do the wipe/wash thing after driving on a rock road in my Explorer. Going to be tough to remember to turn on the headlights first. And when I wipe off the windshield after getting out of the car wash, same thing, if it's daytime and good weather I don't turn on the headlights. Guess that's just the inherent rebel in me.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I barely read local news now that its all bad.

I will say this about OSPatrol, they tend to park in the median and sometimes up an onramp to clock people with their running lights on.

In Michigan they park in tall grass all blacked out or behind the divider walls.
MI troopers are ninjas

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Not to start a fight, but that is you and not all the truck drivers. It was probably more your responsibility of doing "pre-trip" inspections. If you made the drive I did everyday (until getting laid off) you might see why the "polar bears" are merciless in Ohio.

1. Fedex double pup drivers going from 75 to 275 come off the exit at 70-75, even when it was a 2 lane construction site with a 50mph limit.

2. I watched a truck driver leave one of my former workplaces knowingly overload his truck and so bad that one wheel would not turn. Seen him flipped over later that day on the way home.

3. When I worked in receiving I can't tell you how many drivers came in drunk/high. We had to kick one trucking company out from some of their issues.

4. We have a large "pay per load" gravel quarry out this way, and those guys have one priority, they don't give a crap what gets in there way. Rick knows what one I refer to if I am a betting man.

You might be a responsible truck driver but it concerns me knowing how some of these guys drive already, just how much more I have to put my life at risk to get to work. I have been driven off the road by semi's on the highway about 3 times in the past year.

I hear that jpierce, I'm not lookin to argue, I have seen some that are an embarasment to the profession, from what I've seen, they are the exception, not the majority. All the courier guys seem to drive pretty fast, I guess they are getting pressure to deliver someone's Ford parts!!! No excuse, the cops should bust 'em.

If they would ever change the way truckers get paid to hourly, and drop the crazy pay per mile, it would eliminate much of the problems. If trucks get stuck in a slow loading shipper or in a traffic jam, that is money coming out of their pocket. I guess they are just trying to make up some time.

Driving a big truck (or anything else) drunk or stoned is just insane. I don't know how these guys would live with themselves if they ever killed anyone while driving in that condition.

Bill

·
Registered
457 Posts
i think those all are the same here, execpt its 65 mph fer trucks n 70 fer everybody else:)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The topic was on the radio all day today and the biggest thing was the trucker speed. I guess the only place they get to go 65 is on the Interstate and not on State highways. I agree w/that ,they need to be able to move w/traffic , because if not they just jam up everything.
A truck drivers life is not easy ,and they aren't all dangerous. I think the law will help.
The Wiper/lights on law they say is to protect the oncoming driver from being hit from a swerving driver w/blurred vision from cleaning the windshield w/wipers. They aren't going to write any tickets until 1/1/10 and will not pull you over just for the wiper/headlight/rain violation.
Personally, I agree w/all the new laws.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts