460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Ford Mustang
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope this is the right board to post this in. New member, just picked up an old family car, '88 fox, that had a big block in it. As it sits right now there is no motor/tranny but we want to put a big block back in it with a C6 or TH400. Haven't had much time to dig into it and see what all it has, but what I do know about it is listed on my profile. Tubular K member, coil overs, tubular control arms, full spool, caster camber plates, etc.

Any general tips, advice, parts etc. for putting a 460 in would be much appreciated. The motor will be fairly stock for now, probably just cam, .030 over and mild head work. Any recommendations on "budget friendly" motor setups would be great. We want to get the car running again and then figure out stroke/nitrous combo.

I have a fairly decent level of knowledge on this stuff, but any info provided will be helpful.

Thanks everyone. Picture of the car below. '92 302 on the right, '88 big block car on the left.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Top end kit /cam from scotty, basic short block, c-4 with bell, more money but quicker. If for street, can`t beat c-6, 2.75 freeway gears, hit the squeeze for drags !

·
Registered
1988 Ford Mustang
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car will be driven on the street here and there, but will mostly be on the strip. By basic short block you mean stock stroke, freshened up .030 over?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Scotty is your top end guy. C-4 will work nicely with the right bellhousing. Just have it built to handle the TQ. It's 30 less parasitic HP then the 55-60 a C-6 has, along with being lighter. Both good trans.
If you haven't done the engine swap yet, a tip for you after doing my 82 Zephyr with a 460. Unbolt the 8 bolts hold the crossmember in and drop it down. Bolt your engine trans, headers, starter etc all on the crossmember and lower the car down on to it.
Another thing I did was go to Manual brakes and steering. Makes it a beast in town, but less garbage under the hood along with the weight. I even used Ford factory Rack and Pinion I got out of the boneyard, and the adapted plate and different brake pedal for manuals. Only thing I would do different is change the MC to have the brake line face toward the outside. Less heat off the headers.Easy peasy.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts