460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here with some questions. I don't know too much about 460s other then they are long lived.

I have a low mile 75 Lincoln with a 460. Just looking for a few low buck things to do for more power.

First, did Ford retard the cam on these engines and the 400M engines after 1972 ? I was told they did and a 71 & earlier timing chain can give you some additional power ?

Second, I do go to salvage yards every now & then are there any more desirable cylinder heads or intake I should keep an eye out for ?

Thanks ! :D

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Yes on the timing chain , DOVE-A or DOVE-C heads are nice pre 72 pieces also holley bolt pattern intake ( opens up carb choices ) . Truck motors have a more desired con rod .

The 460 is probably the easiest motor to add horsepower ! You could for instance ; istall earlier timing chain , replacement cobra jet cam , edelbrock performer intake , 3310 holley carb , recurved duraspark distributor and have a very nice little street combo . Close to 400 hp and 500 ft/lb torque that runs on regular pump gas .

Welcome and enjoy !

·
Registered
9 Posts
the dove-a and dove-c heads seem to be the better stock choice especially if your just making a quick little cruiser. the only downside is the more people who grab them up outta the junkyard the less likely I am to find a set next week

1 - 4 of 4 Posts