460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wanted to introduce myself and rough out some highlights of the 460 install for my catering truck. I live in Eastern Washington and I run a '55 Ford F600 with a pizza oven on the back. I do weddings, wineries, parties etc. We've had more calls to travel farther, and the original spec 272 was starting to show its age. (I had to go so far as to do a head gasket the morning of a wedding we were due to cater at 11 am... I got good at those) Also the truck is named "Betty" since its a Ford with a drinking problem - 3 MPG when loaded which means I can't even leave town as there isn't fuel once you get out to farm country...

After talking with some experts, a 70's era 460 built out in the RV spec seemed like the right idea - for this year we're running an Edelbrock 600 but next year we might go with the Sniper. We are running a freshly built C6 with all the clutches I could pack into it - with the driveshaft brake (which wasn't easy to find anymore).

I am not quite done - we still need to fit the fan/radiator and the smaller details like wiring and a modified driveshaft, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. It was particularly difficult to get the exhaust right. The Sanderson headers were the best fit available, allowing us to stay with the standard steering box. I used the Mid-Fifty engine mount tube, and had to modify the ends to lift it high enough in the frame. Lots of fun welding and grinding.

Here is the 272 on the way out. I had no idea what I was getting into...

One of the many times it's been in and out... lots of decisions to make...

Where it sits tonight... I still need to fabricate the transmission mounts, and commit to it's location so I can begin to work out the connections and the driveshaft length. I am getting a little carried away with the CFV pulleys and brackets, but they offer the right selection to make it all work. With all the billet, I expect my 16.000 lb truck to hit 13-second quarters, no? Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
94 Posts
I agree! Really nice repowering on that old soldier, and breathing new life into it! The new horsepressure should make a lotta difference in lugging around all that weight!! Nice work!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love the project that you have going on. Did you ever consider using an E4OD transmission instead of the C6? You would have a steeper 1st gear and also have OD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the project that you have going on. Did you ever consider using an E4OD transmission instead of the C6? You would have a steeper 1st gear and also have OD.
I looked into the E4OD but the costs were so much higher than the C6 that I had on hand. I had a guy talking me up into the 12K territory for a well built one and it really got out of hand. I really want a driveshaft brake, and the only reasonable option was to go with the C6 with the right tail housing and brake installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The devil is in the details...

I've spent the better part of this last week getting the final details together. Getting all the pulleys to work in my unique situation was a task but CVF has everything - and the sheaves align well. I had to move the AC out of the radius of the fan as it gets pretty cozy up front there once we have to clear the radiator. I have about 1/4" of clearance behind the fan at the crank pulley. I am curious what kind of sound it will all make. Also finding a good water neck that fits under the distributor is a quest.

I got the exhaust all hooked up, and I am running fuel lines and bending up custom trans cooler lines. Lots of trips to the store and boxes coming from Summit. I have the shroud ready to go on (I took a stock sheet metal one and cut it in half top/bottom so I can remove the top side to change belts. It's gonna be snug in there.

The final challenge is to make all the lines/tubes be neat and tidy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: The truck is all set with the final configuration.

I had a custom exhaust bent up from the Sanderson headers to 2.5" X pipe, Flowmasters and side exits. I had the choice between Magnaflows (mellow and easygoing) and Flowmasters which had more high frequency sound... more old-school. I love the idle sound and at WOT it has a real authority.

Right now I am running in to seat the rings, and trying stress out the systems to check for leaks or my many errors. I even grabbed a thermal camera to dork out about the cooling system.

One funky thing is that the truck frame is a little out of whack so the new oil pan looks out of square. Had I gone with a stock 460 pan I don't think it would show as much.

The C6 is terrific. The truck has a 2-speed rear and I haven't had to run it in low range at all. My only issue now is that the 460 grunts all 16,000 lbs around so easily that I forget that the brakes are still original (tiny)... so bringing that huge snail shell back to a crawl has been a little hair-raising.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
94 Posts
Looks like your project is coming along nicely!! Well done!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ahh that’s a really nice piece you have there. I love that thermal image. I’d print that and hang it on my wall. Tell everyone it’s modern art! Good luck with the truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts