460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in have a 71 460 dist with points
i have an 79 mustang with ? dura spark.
can i get a module for the dist to work with dura spark.
yrs ago i did this with a junkyard dist but none around now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dura Spark wasn't bad in it's day. Back then there wasn't much to choose from. Unless you want the factory look, go with the newer stuff.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dura Spark wasn't bad in it's day. Back then there wasn't much to choose from. Unless you want the factory look, go with the newer stuff.
last time i did dist work was in my last mustang 25 yrs ago.
dont know beans about new stuff or ?

i can make points work. that i know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what i need is a module for the dist to play with existing dura stuff in the car.
can i toss the points and add a module

·
Registered
438 Posts
what i need is a module for the dist to play with existing dura stuff in the car.
can i toss the points and add a module
That was an old trick back in the 80s/90s. Change the breaker plate and use a module. This way you keep the same dist housing. But if you're thinking of wiring the Dura into a points system? I don't think that will work since the points use a different signal to make the spark.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

anybody know if there is one??

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i could make points work the old way,ditch dura but dont want to...
Why not just get a Duraspark style of distributor? I got this cheap unit off of Ebay, will accept the Duraspark 2-piece distributor cap/adapter to use later style plug wires.
will it connect to my 80 dura ??

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would say as long as your former '80 DS distributor utilized the "normal" 3 blade DS terminal plug, it'll fit-or rather it should. Buying one this cheap, you could use male/female terminals to facilitate an easy installation. FWIW, I run a DS distributor to trigger a GM 5 pin HEI module/Ford TFI coil combo. Ford modules(due to age) and their aftermarket compadres (quality)are notoriously unreliable.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say as long as your former '80 DS distributor utilized the "normal" 3 blade DS terminal plug, it'll fit-or rather it should. Buying one this cheap, you could use male/female terminals to facilitate an easy installation. FWIW, I run a DS distributor to trigger a GM 5 pin HEI module/Ford TFI coil combo. Ford modules(due to age) and their aftermarket compadres (quality)are notoriously unreliable.
ok, the way i looked at the connector first it looked different...illusion?
im trying it so thanks...yeah, its cheep enuf to try...!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Another inexpensive and more reliable option is to use a Pertronix 2 module in the points distributor (or in a Duraspark distributor, albeit a different part number). The Pertronix module replaces the points or pick up coil in the distributor and eliminates the Duraspark module on the firewall by firing the coil directly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
in have a 71 460 dist with points
i have an 79 mustang with ? dura spark.
can i get a module for the dist to work with dura spark.
yrs ago i did this with a junkyard dist but none around now.
Freakin cheap and easy; buy a rebuilt duraspark distributor from parts house or junkyard (any 75-80s), get an HEI module(also cheap)(get two) and draw this on paper… the distributor will have black, violet and orange wires. The black goes to ground along with the hei case, with the hei module looking like a frown, the orange and violet wires go to the left spade connectors(your choice) the lower right goes to ignition-on (and start)AND + side of coil. The upper right of the frowning hei goes to the negative side of the coil. If it runs weird swap the violet and orange on the left side of the frowning hei module. If you roast the coil be sure to use an e-coil and-or run a ballast resistor on the ignition-on circuit and bypass that in the start position. Refine your timing and advance curve, rejoice. Mine ran great for many miles and years. Super cheap too. For a more positive outlook, look at the smiling side of the hei module and reverse the wiring.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another inexpensive and more reliable option is to use a Pertronix 2 module in the points distributor (or in a Duraspark distributor, albeit a different part number). The Pertronix module replaces the points or pick up coil in the distributor and eliminates the Duraspark module on the firewall by firing the coil directly.
i went back to see what i said !!
"can i toss the points and add a module "

so you got it !!

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
300 Posts
Also just for reference, any distributor that you can find that will fit a 351C or a 351M-400 will fit a big block as well...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i ordered this one ,,,thanks all

New Distributor For Ford Lincoln Mercury 1975-76 351 5.8 6.6 400 7.5 460 V8
35 bucks cheep

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got the new one. looks nice.
it rattles. it clicks 2x per rev as i turn it...??
sent message to vender...
a snag at every turn...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts