460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new TM Boss 429 replica heads are finished, and a pair was tested on a running engine over the New Years' weekend at Holbrook Racing in Livonia, Michigan.    The engine was a group collaboration using very basic bolt on parts. 

Here's a brief run down:  

533 CI Shortblock

C9AE-E Boss service block, 4.440" bore
Scat 4.300 stroke steel crank
Scat 6.800 steel rods
Custom 10.3 to 1 dished pistons from Shotgunhemiparts
ACL bearings, Melling oil pump and drive shaft from Precision Oil Pumps
Moroso rear sump pan, Rollmaster timing set
A borrowed .640" lift, 244 @ .050" mechanical roller cam

TM Heads

New TM Boss 429 replica heads, original quench hemi, 86cc chamber - bowl clean up only, 3 angles on the seat as delivered, modified Felpro head gasket (no o-rings)
As recieved 2.400 intake 1.900 exhaust 11/32” stainless valves, 1 angle on the valve
PSI 1.500 OD springs
Original Boss 429 Nascar rocker arms and original ball-n-cup 3/8 pushrods

Intake and Ignition

Replica unmodified dual plane single 4v intake manifold - 1" plastic 4 hole spacer
Proform 750 CFM carb, out of the box, no changes
A used, locked out, 400M duraspark distributor with a steel gear installed
MSD wire kit

The engine was run on Sunoco 93 octane pump gas.

The single 4v produced 696HP @ 6200 RPM, and 665 ft./lbs. of Tq. @ 4800 RPM - with only 28 degrees of total ignition timing..!!!  Holy cow...!  

We then (for grins and giggles) switched to a Weiand tunnel ram, that had no work done to the ports or plenum, and topped it with (2) out of the box Proform 950 carbs.   The engine now made a best of 790HP @ 6400 RPM, and 720 ft./lbs. of Tq. @ 5000 RPM - with no tuning or jet changes...!!!!!   Still only 28 degrees of ignition timing..!  

The Tq & HP averages were stunning with a very flat torque curve, for instance the single four barrel carb and stock dual plane made 600 ft/lb at 3500 rpm.

This engine was assembled over a 2 week period, to test and verify the TM Boss heads, and to make sure they have no leaks, issues with accepting stock components, and to verify the valve seat/guide clearances and the overall fitness of the cylinder head as delivered.  We never expected such good HP & Tq. results with a 40 year old valvetrain, a standard valve job, and a nothing camshaft.  Overall, the head is an excellent reproduction part, that is far better in quality then the original Boss heads, and would fool anyone viewing them installed on an engine - from the outside - as they look 100% original in every way.   We couldn't help but imagine how much more power was lying around with more compression, a larger cam, and better gas, along with more modern valvetrain components that would allow this thing to run to 7500 RPM +.    For a bolt together street deal, all of us were very happy with the results, to say the least.  

We have heads available for sale, they are $3850 a pair with guides and seats. We can be contacted at [email protected]. We have a website which will be updated and on-line very soon.

Here is a video of the dyno test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shwuTmDw1xo

And some pictures:

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Looks Sweet, Nice Numbers, Are you gonna make some blocks to go with them too? or can you use a wedge block?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Very nice.

So, these are different than Eric at Diamond 429 Replacement heads, correct? Did you add material to the chamber and port walls over stock? This is pretty cool all the Boss stuff coming out.

BTW, who makes the water pump?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Questions; Who's TM? What does TM stand for?

Aren't these heads the same ones that Jay at IDT was going to sell and also E.T. Heads?

I see you have them on a Boss 429 block,,,so like Dave said, are you going to make a block with the Boss oiling system?

Thanks,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A wedge block is our next project, to make sure the heads will work on a stock block. Besides existing vintage Ford blocks, we are looking at modifying aftermarket blocks for the necessary oiling provisions.

EFD built the engine and was instrumental doing the dyno test. He is building the rockers for this project.

TM is Todd Miller. These are his heads. IDT did display these heads in the prototype stage at last years Spring Columbus. ET is involved in the machining of the heads.

Yes, the heads have increased wall thickness in all the areas the original heads had problems. Since the combustion chamber wall has been thickened, the heads take a spark plug with longer threads. The goal was to make a replacement head which is interchangeable with a stock head. As you can see these make plenty of horsepower for a street car.

The water pump is vintage Morso pump. It looked cool so we put it on for the dyno test. Actually it was not functional during the test, the DTS dyno supplied water to the engine without power to the water pump.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm just trying to clarify:

Eric (EFD), ET Performance and IDT are selling a Boss 429 Replacement Head. Is this the same head or a completely new one?

I looked at the pictures IDT put up before, and yours is a little different with the 777 cast in the valvetrain area along with the B429 stamp.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
you guys these are very nice,its not as hard as you thin k to install these on a wedge block,

i had these heads in my hands a few months ago,but i promised id wait to say anything,

the issues with valve spring presser( head is thicker/stronger by the ehx head bolt area) is fixed,plenty of room for some port work,

stock intake bolt on,covers,and more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but ill let them tell

-rich

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
very nice heads, caint wait to use them

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
dfree383 said:
Looks Sweet, Nice Numbers, Are you gonna make some blocks to go with them too? or can you use a wedge block?
YES THEY CAN GO ON A WEDGE BLOCK,or buy a block for hemi from c and c motorsport

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EFD, ET, IDT....

These are all the same head. The heads are Todd Miller's. ET machined the heads. The castings and machining are beautiful. We're not trying to be biased since we're involved in the process of proving out these heads, but they really are eye candy and functional also.

Dave, the "777" you see in the picture of the casting is "TM".

All the intake, exhaust, and rocker bolt holes are in the stock location. The heads have stock factory oiling galleries for the rocker shafts. Everything is interchangeable with the original Ford head except for the increased thread depth of the spark plugs and the deletion of the recess o-ring grooves so an existing head gasket can be used. The casting has been beefed up in known areas where the original head had a tendency to crack.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Guys,

Like Dave, I'm just trying to figure out the players without a program. Thus far we've learned that TM is Todd Miller, and I think when he last posted on this forum, he was "wanab9er". This old thread may help.

http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=8121&highlight=

EFD is Eric From Diamond, meaning our friend Eric Simone who posts on here as "429sluggo". As some of you know, Eric is making the rocker arms and had some prototype models of them on display at the first Ford Bash. He was one of the people we saw in the Youtube video.

Xengr has explained that these are the heads that Jay and John from IDT showed at the Columbus swap meet in the spring of 2008. At that time Jay said they were marketing/selling the heads. I thought they were ready to be sold then, but maybe I'm wrong. Xengr has also explained that E.T. heads is machining them. I thought it was implied that E.T. Heads was selling them also, but I'm probally wrong about that to. My next question to "Xengr" is who are you?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
P.S.

For those of you who have watched and listened to the youtube dyno pulls,,,don't worry about the clunking rattling sound you hear after the dyno pulls. That's coming from the DTS dyno itself,,,,not the engine.
Nice job Eric!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Boss heads

I've seen these heads this past Columbus in Doug and Eric's booth. They are quality pieces and the best thing is they are available now.

I'm sure everyone knows Eric Simone. He is good people. I would contact Doug or Eric if you are interested.

Although I have not met Tim yet, I do know that he is a pattern maker and has put his personal touch in these Boss heads.

Gary,

·
Registered
903 Posts
Vouch

c.evans said:
Guys,

Like Dave, I'm just trying to figure out the players without a program. Thus far we've learned that TM is Todd Miller, and I think when he last posted on this forum, he was "wanab9er". This old thread may help.

http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=8121&highlight=

EFD is Eric From Diamond, meaning our friend Eric Simone who posts on here as "429sluggo". As some of you know, Eric is making the rocker arms and had some prototype models of them on display at the first Ford Bash. He was one of the people we saw in the Youtube video.

Xengr has explained that these are the heads that Jay and John from IDT showed at the Columbus swap meet in the spring of 2008. At that time Jay said they were marketing/selling the heads. I thought they were ready to be sold then, but maybe I'm wrong. Xengr has also explained that E.T. heads is machining them. I thought it was implied that E.T. Heads was selling them also, but I'm probally wrong about that to. My next question to "Xengr" is who are you?

Thanks,
Charlie,
These are real nice well executed heads. More material where you need it and more. I would recommend these to anyone without hesitating.

Regardless of who the players were or are now this head is real sweet. You should become a dealer and do some R&D and add your personel touch as well. :wink:

Gary,

·
Registered
903 Posts
Dyno

c.evans said:
P.S.

For those of you who have watched and listened to the youtube dyno pulls,,,don't worry about the clunking rattling sound you hear after the dyno pulls. That's coming from the DTS dyno itself,,,,not the engine.
Nice job Eric!
Charlie,
You are correct, there is nothing wrong with Chris Holbrook's dyno. That's a real sweet street combo don't you agree?
Gary, :wink:

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
X2 Thanks for posting.

What LC and Installed CL was the Cam on?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I was the guy with Eric at the bash, and these are the same heads. Eric and I were at the Fall Columbus where Eric had the stroker Boss 302 for sale. I'm Doug and had all the Boss 429 parts at the last Spring Columbus and the preceding Fall Columbus.

The heads should have been done early last summer, but ET was very busy at their primary core LS business and IDT was knee deep in their new A+ head so we had to step in and get these heads up to speed for Todd.

The DTS dyno does clang, its more apparent on the video sound recording than in person. Part of the noise is the front engine struts to the engine mounts, they had to be re-tighted during the test, I don't think Holbrook expected an old vintage looking 385 series to make this much horsepower.

The purpose of the test was more to put time on the heads than make power. Other than the tunnel ram we made no attempts at optimization. The carbs were not dialed-in other than setting the idle. The stock four barrel intake had distribution issues.

The cam was borrowed, and going by memory I believe it was a 110 centerline installed at 107.5. The cam was nowhere near optimal for the characteristics of a hemi chambered engine.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Great Job, Again thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts