460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
XEngr - Doug,

X 2 for the info thus far. You've given some dyno numbers, any flow numbers you want to give for the heads?

Thanks,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Boss 429 Head

After racing (3) sets of OEM heads, I found that one very bad weak spot was the rocker arm stud threads that penetrated the oil gallery on the intake stand mounting. We could not use an aggressive roller cam/spring combination without pulling that stud out. We did attempt to drill and tap that area deeper, and had limited sucsess. Was this area addressed in any way? Thanks, Joe Shelfo Sr.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Very impressive. I have a couple of questions about the valvetrain. How much of a modern roller cam can the stock rockers take? Does the geometry start to get nasty above say .700 lift?

What would make a cam more optimum for the hemi design? How do it's requirements differ?

We did a Boss 429 rebuild for a customer about 25 years ago and I couldn't remember but did the OEM head have the spark plug placed way over to the side like that? It mustn't be too bad if it only needs 28 degrees timing I wonder why they did it that way valvetrain maybe?

When you use a head gasket on a Boss block do you just punch a hole for the oil feed? In the future will it be possible to feed the valvetrain through the pushrods or will an external oil line be required when using the heads on a wedge style block?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Impressive!!
Im thinking that I'd like to see an in-depth side-by-side comparison of these heads and Kaase's new Boss heads.

Im sure the power gods will smile favorably upon both of them!!

How about a Boss head engine shootout??
With these TM heads, Kaase Boss heads, and C&C Boss heads!!

I know you'd have to be a millionaire to do it...but it sure would be a worthwhile activity.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
DaveMcLain said:
Very impressive. I have a couple of questions about the valvetrain. How much of a modern roller cam can the stock rockers take? Does the geometry start to get nasty above say .700 lift?

What would make a cam more optimum for the hemi design? How do it's requirements differ?

We did a Boss 429 rebuild for a customer about 25 years ago and I couldn't remember but did the OEM head have the spark plug placed way over to the side like that? It mustn't be too bad if it only needs 28 degrees timing I wonder why they did it that way valvetrain maybe?

When you use a head gasket on a Boss block do you just punch a hole for the oil feed? In the future will it be possible to feed the valvetrain through the pushrods or will an external oil line be required when using the heads on a wedge style block?

i have done a lot with stock rockers,on these engines,well over 7500 rpm,and as high as 8500, it was never a lift problem,we ran 820/860 lifts
the head not being able to handel the spring was the problem, these guys have that issue fixed

this new head just takes a longer reach plug,old ARF 42, NEW HEAD 3932, 5/8 .750 LONG,

YES YOU CAN PUNCH A HOLD FOR THE OIL FEED, IVE BEEN INSTALLING BOSS HEADS ON WEDGE BLOCKS since 1986, or you can oil thru the push rods,which again is fine

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Doug, very nice heads you have there. It shows that Todd, Eric & yourself have done your home work. Fordtek1 & myself were the ones talking to you & Eric late Friday night at the Bash. Enjoyed meeting you & glad to see you got your heads out now. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
New BOSS HEADS

I will be at the Des Moines swap meet at the Iowa State fairgrounds this Sunday (Jan 11th) from 8am-4pm. Check out wildwade.com for more show info. Two sets of heads will be on hand available for sale. Start building your boss Sunday night! If you are in the area stop by, look them over and say hi. Todd Miller

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
GREAT JOB TODD you all should get a big pat on the back, i hope i can help you sell them-rich

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
An update on the flow numbers. Keep in mind that this head is intended as a replacement for the original head.

The intake flows in the 350 cfm range from .400 lift on up. That's about where an OEM Ford stock Boss head flows. The low lift flows are very good, for instance 181 cfm at .200 lift and and 275 cfm at .300 lift.

The exhaust flows 110 cfm at .200, 158 cfm at .300 and 211 cfm at .400, and 226 cfm at .500 and climbs gradually from there.

Stock Boss heads respond well to professional porting as can be seen at this webite: (Note, I have no affiliation with this shop, just providing a link for information purposes).

http://www.j-performance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29

The stock Nascar rocker worked better than expected. The stock intake does scrub across the intake valve tip more than would be desireable. For a street engine, this cam was probably a little more than stock rockers could handle in extended cruising.

We had two cams for the test, but found the smaller of the two had a damaged distributor gear apparently from a previous owner running a cast distributor gear. At last moment a larger mechanical roller cam was installed which was .674 intake and .685 exhaust lifts with a 112 lobe separation. I didn't know this so the smaller cam figures were given above.

To get into a discussion about particular cams for hemi engines should probably be another thread as no doubt it would get fairly esoteric especially considering that the Boss 429 is actually a quenched shallow hemi chamber with an offset "shotgun" intake port.

The stock rockers actually worked better than we expected. For the gentleman above inquiring about beefing up the intake rocker pad area, these heads are made with much better A356-T6 aluminum so the actual threads in this hole are stronger. Also Eric is implementing several changes in the rocker shaft stand design which should really help the stability. But from what you have described it sounds like you might have been experiencing valve train harmonics.

Here's another Youtube video of the engine on a dyno with the tunnel ram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXjoyuia-I

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have there been any other builds with these heads? It has been awhile since any updates since this thread started.I know there was the EMC build which if PHR didn't do an article on it (they should),I think it would be nice to know about the specs.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Have there been any other builds with these heads? It has been awhile since any updates since this thread started.I know there was the EMC build which if PHR didn't do an article on it (they should),I think it would be nice to know about the specs.
Funny, (weird not humorous), that you should mention it; PHR has an in depth article on that EMC engine in their latest issue - May 2010.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is good.I was really hopeing they would for equal opportunity to showcase these heads.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
this thread is from 11 years ago

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
YES, They are avb. I have 3 more pair on the way.
Im a dealer for them. thanks for asking

-Rich

21 - 37 of 37 Posts