460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title suggests, I have never owned a 460 or worked on one however I am not new to mechanics.

I had a 6.9 diesel that died on me in my 84 f250. I acquired a complete 460 to put in. It would not turn over at first so I put mystery oil and then penetrating oil in the cylinders and it's turned over but not completely. At this point I realized a rebuild is in order.

Upon removing the heads I discover one cylinder is rusted pretty bad and Im sure will need to be bored.

Now what's stumping me is that the block casting really appears to be d5te however everything I've read states that's immposible, that that is not a legitimate casting number. I believe its an 85 according to the valve cover sticker. The heads are stamped e6te-da under the inake manifold. Looking at the crank; it has the rib before the first weight like a 460 should and the bore measures roughly 4 3/8" which I'm assuming is the 4.360 bore a 460 should be.

Once I get it bored I am going to be lost as to what to do from there as far as parts go. Of course new pistons and a rering kit are in order but what else should I do or look for? Are there any tip and tricks I should know about?

The truck is an 84 f250 on one ton axles with f super duty leaves and a ten inch lift on 37s with a four speed. It's not a daily driver anymore since I've gotten a new vehicle since its been down so too much power will never be an issue. Like most posts I've read, budget is an issue. I'm looking for as much power as practically possible with room to increase as time goes on and money becomes available, but I'm not expecting an animal on a tight budget.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like definitely you are going to want to get the block mag'd and check for any cracks/ breakage, before going any further with this unit, save yourself some time some money and give you a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I've never had to get that done. Can any engine shop magnaflux my block? Or is it something a specialized machine shop would have to do? I've got an engine builder/engine machining shop about 500 ft from where I'm working on the motor. I haven't called him yet tho but he's done amazing work for me in the past

1 - 5 of 5 Posts