460 Ford Forum banner

New to the fourm

923 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  466Fairmont 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if I have to make an intro here or not, but i'm doing it anyways. 8)

I'm Xander from Hamilton Ontario Canada. I have a 79 Ford Fairmont 4 door, that currently has a 302 in it. I am planning to do a 460/C6 swap this winter to it, I hope to have atleast 400-450HP when its done. I am unsure what parts i will be using for my build but thats why i joined here. lol

Edit: I cant seem to get the pics to work... I'll post a couple of shots of my car once i figure it out

#6 ·
466Fairmont said:
I am planning to do a 460/C6 swap this winter to it, I hope to have atleast 400-450HP when its done.

One thing you'll loooove about the BBF is that it's too damn easy to make that level of hp with one....it's just about as easy as throwing together a SBC. :mrgreen: You can use a lot of stock parts, if that's what suits.

It's almost as easy to build a stroker, and not all that much more money...although it's real easy to get carried away & start adding aluminum cylinder heads, roller cams & corresponding parts, & so forth.

A couple of threads that may help for starters:

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=6937

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=23787

Note that at your desired power level, it's basically cam/headers/intake/carb/mild port work on stock heads. Intake choice depends somewhat on the cam and the weight of the car/gearing; also, if you use D3VE heads, you could use the Harland Sharp pedestal-type adjustable roller rockers offered by a board member here, Randy Malik, rather than go to the effort of a full conversion.

Some of the builds mention D0VE heads; at your power level, D3VE heads will work as well with the same port work, as long as you use different pistons to get the same compression, as the D3VE heads have similar chamber shapes but are larger in CC. The D3VE heads are more common, and usually much cheaper. C8VE & C9VE heads are more or less equivalent to the D0VE heads. These are the common, everyday BBF heads you're liable to find in the boneyard. Avoid the '72-only D2VE heads for what you want to do.

Lastly, all these builds assume good machine work & assembly techniques. One example is that, depending on your 460 block, and its deck height, you could end up with the piston deck being quite a bit below the deck at TDC. Without measuring and correcting this, you will likely end up with less power and possible detonation. You may already be familiar with all this, but I thought I'd mention it....now's the time to ask. :wink:

#7 ·
Homespun91 said:
466Fairmont said:
I am planning to do a 460/C6 swap this winter to it, I hope to have atleast 400-450HP when its done.

One thing you'll loooove about the BBF is that it's too damn easy to make that level of hp with one....it's just about as easy as throwing together a SBC. :mrgreen: You can use a lot of stock parts, if that's what suits.

It's almost as easy to build a stroker, and not all that much more money...although it's real easy to get carried away & start adding aluminum cylinder heads, roller cams & corresponding parts, & so forth.

A couple of threads that may help for starters:

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=6937

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=23787

Note that at your desired power level, it's basically cam/headers/intake/carb/mild port work on stock heads. Intake choice depends somewhat on the cam and the weight of the car/gearing; also, if you use D3VE heads, you could use the Harland Sharp pedestal-type adjustable roller rockers offered by a board member here, Randy Malik, rather than go to the effort of a full conversion.

Some of the builds mention D0VE heads; at your power level, D3VE heads will work as well with the same port work, as long as you use different pistons to get the same compression, as the D3VE heads have similar chamber shapes but are larger in CC. The D3VE heads are more common, and usually much cheaper. C8VE & C9VE heads are more or less equivalent to the D0VE heads. These are the common, everyday BBF heads you're liable to find in the boneyard. Avoid the '72-only D2VE heads for what you want to do.

Lastly, all these builds assume good machine work & assembly techniques. One example is that, depending on your 460 block, and its deck height, you could end up with the piston deck being quite a bit below the deck at TDC. Without measuring and correcting this, you will likely end up with less power and possible detonation. You may already be familiar with all this, but I thought I'd mention it....now's the time to ask. :wink:

From what i had read here i figured with a cam/headers/intake/carb/mild port work i would be where i want to be, but thanks for confirming it 8)

I havent really thought about stroking it becuase i havent seen any stroker kits for the 460, not that i have looked very hard lol. Are there better places then Summit and Jeggs to pick up rotating assemblies? I know my performance parts guy will be able to order what i want, i just done want to bug him while i have no funds.... (No job at the moment)

Anyways heres a few shots of my car, i think i figured out how to post pics. I plan to keep the outside looking about the same, just shave the trim, touch up some spots and paint the fiberglass fenders to match the rest of the car. Along with a cage, and a hood scoop lol.

How it looks currently, i broke the rear end at the track last time out. '

Engine bay...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.