460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 77 ford that has a 351M with an automatic (C6 I think). Ive aquired a 76 with a 460 and a 4speed granny.. They are both 4x4's.. I'm wanting to kinda rob the 76 of better parts, exchange motors and resale the 76.. My question(s) are basicaly how huge of deal "should" this be? Any chance that the will match up to the new tranny or am I dreaming.. Thanks in advance, you guys are always very helpful..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
quickest swap would be to put the 460 on the C6, you'll need some swap motor mounts (L&L, Advance Adapters, Trans Dapt) and a few other odds and ends to make it run good and have everything functioning normally.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Trans will bolt right up, just watch the converter snout.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're looking for a more budget minded swap you can use parts off of a 79ish van with a 460 in it. It has a rear sump pan and brackets to locate the accessories higher. The motor mounts will also work (you may have to drill one extra hole to make them align properly).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i have a front sump in my 460, 77 f150

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok another new guy here. doing the same swap in 79 F150. my 460 came out of a camper special. was told the truck had a c-6 tranny. i am wanting to do a stroker motor eventually but funds are tight. you guys were talking new oil pan and brackets. could you guys elaborate on this a little. this is the first ford i have ever owned and have never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ok another new guy here. doing the same swap in 79 F150. my 460 came out of a camper special. was told the truck had a c-6 tranny. i am wanting to do a stroker motor eventually but funds are tight. you guys were talking new oil pan and brackets. could you guys elaborate on this a little. this is the first ford i have ever owned and have never done anything like this before.
Is your truck a 4x4? The oil pan should be a rear sump so it'll clear the front axle. The brackets are for raising the alt. and the power steering pump so it doesn't hit the steering box. And welcome aboard. I see your from Bluffton, that not to from me.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
of course remember youll need a flexplate since its a stick 460... you could probably sell the flywheel for more than a new flexplate would cost

1 - 10 of 10 Posts