460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1979 Fairmont Futura with plans to put a 460 in it. My goal is to beat my buddies 86 Monte SS while spending less than he did on his engine. So far I have the car, a 460 (72 Lincoln...worst heads BBF ever made), and a C6. My grand total so far is about $400. Of course now I need to start gathering swap parts...and different heads. Got my eye on a set of DOVE-Cs locally for $100.00. That'll bump the compression a little, and do away with the D2VE junkers.

This all started 'cause I beat his Monte with my stock 2001 F-150 XL 5.4L 2wd Supercab. Then he bought a new stroker engine, a new Art Carr tranny, and a new DTS 12-bolt. All told he dropped about $10K. Needless to say, back at the track, he beat my $8500.00 stock pickup. So now I'm looking to get even. But I have a wife, 2 kids, and a house payment. He has none of those things, which means he has considerably more expendable income than I do. Hence, the budget build.

I've spent months reading various posts, and have really learned quite a bit. (should have read it BEFORE I bought the 1972 460) Thanks for the great site. Sorry for the long intro.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Welcome Johnny, GITERDONE :idea: :idea: :idea:

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Welcome Johnny.

I used to have a 79 Fairmont. First it was a 460 then I put a 429 in it. Of course it had the C6 and Mustang 8.8 rear.

Car weighed 3,090 lbs without driver.

Won alot of bracket races with it.

Then it rusted all to hell. :cry:

It was nicknamed Boomerang because I bought it 3 times.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That guy with the monte sounds just like a guy around here. I beat him with my truck so he bought a 383 crate motor and a TCI trans and its still not faster.

I have a build thats pretty mild and cheap that should put your fairmount easily in the 11s and 10s on the bottle. It was built on a budget, ran on pump gas, was sprayed alot, and was driven and beat on constantly for 2 years and still runs great.

Heres a link http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=17165&highlight=

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
BBFmavrick:

What's up with your avatar ???????....It's HUUUUGE !!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts