460 Ford Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 bronco, 460, tons
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Why ATF/kerosene? Just curious, seems like an odd combo. I get the the kerosene, is the atf just being used as a lubricant at that point?

After i cleaned the bores i noticed them flash-rust which is when i grabbed some 30w and wiped em down. The rings i installed dry but i oiled the piston/rings right before slipping them down into the bores. Its not like i dunked them in oil, but i did coat them in it, as opposed to coating the ring compressor. Its definitely possible i used too much as i had no idea how much to use. I know i didnt run it long, but didnt see any smoke or oil consumption so i figured i did it right. I followed the chart that came with the rings, with respect on which way to clock each one for the initial fire.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ATF is a very good detergent and cleaner, it will pick up dirt particles that other products leave behind. I’ve never heard the mix with kerosene trick, JimL will have to explain that part.

I remember hearing and reading about old school guys using ATF to break up carbon deposits on valves by sucking it in through the below throttle blade vacuum port I believe.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
300 Posts
I second the use of paper towels or shop type paper towels instead of any cloth rags or microfiber towels.. the fibers in cloth based products don't break down like the ones in paper towels do and can gum up lifters, oil pump valves, bearings,anywhere there are tight tolerances in the engine...

·
Registered
826 Posts
I probably don't do it like the pros but i clean them in several steps, with mineral spirits,ATF,and brake clean on a rag. Repeat till no more gray stuff shows up on the rags/towel.

I start with the blue paper towels till i see no more on them and then go to a white lint free cloth towel until nothing shows on that.

Don't spray brake clean directly on the bores. It sprays out cold and can make the cast flash rust. I spray it on a rag then wipe walls.

For install i wipe some oil on cylinders and put a few drops on the rings and skirts.

·
Registered
88 bronco, 460, tons
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok that explains the flash-rust, because i definitely sprayed the non-chlorinated brakleen directly on the bores, then used the blue lint-free shop towels to clean it. So odds are i didnt clean it well enough.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As Wickettoby1 said, ATF has the detergents and chemical cleaning agents ...but is a little on the thick side for practical cleaning.
Kerosene is a good (not great, like Kroil) penetrating oil to help lift and clean. It thins the ATF but won't quickly disappear like brake clean.

75% ATF to 25% kerosene seems to work well for new machine shop grit. 50/50 for older parts with carbon build up ...or gun powder residue.

Very flammable! Treat it like gasoline. And let those paper towels air dry then place in outdoor garbage can ...if you cannot burn them.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts