460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 460 .030 over using JE flat tops on stock truck rods. D20E-AB heads cut to 85cc and lots of work done to the exhaust ports. Larger valves have also been added to the heads. The motor will be going into my 85 Mustang coupe which is used mostly at the strip. My transmission is a totally beefed up C/4 and a TCI 3500 Super streetfighter converter. I would like to run 9.80-10.0 on the motor only. Can anyone suggest a cam that will get me there? Can this be done without going to a roller cam? Any other suggestions? Also trying to keep this a Budget Motor. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Sure it can be done without a roller...

A good aggressive solid flat tappet with something like 265/270* duration and .650" lift on a 108lsa should do the trick...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You will probably need some intake porting. I don't know that you will get that low or not without more compression than that. You should still be able to get in the low 10's. How much do you think it weights?

Here is my build still in progress:

Iron CJ's they flow 363 @.700 lift
11.4:1 compression
Cam: FTI 268/280 duration and 694/7025 lift Flat Tappet non-roller
Victor intake + 1050 Dominator yet to buy
521 CID
Built C4 with 4500 Coan stall

It is an 85 Mustang LX coupe. Also this is going to be a 95% drag car that can hit the road. I think low tens to high nines, some people guess it for 9.50's. I don't know. Should be 700hp give or take 25hp.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Hey Kwik85 it looks like your compression ratio may be in the area of 10.3 to 1. You might consider milling the heads quite a bit to try and bump that compression up.

With the amount of compression it has now your cam choice will be limited because it's just not enough compression and cubic inch to go very big on the cam.

I'd say right now, with the right roller cam and your current combo you're looking at about 550 to 600 hp at best. It would run strong and probably be capable of making the 10's, but not nowhere near 9's. That would probably require more like 675-700 hp.

If you could somehow bump compression up to more like 11.5-12.5 to 1 that would help alot and allow you to run more duration on the cam which would in turn allow alot more hp.

Hey Jpierce55, nice combo! That should run strong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heads have been one of my major delimmas lately. I could trade the interceptor heads I have for some Ported DOVE-C heads but race Fuel is so Darn expensive. Oh well I guess you gotta pay to go Play. Thanks for the help. Car Should [email protected] or less with me in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts