460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '77 Merc wagon that I'm getting ready for the crusher - question - is the 4 link rear worth having under a '61 Starliner project that I'm starting in on? I know the axles "gotta go" (4 3/4" BC), but according to the tag, the rear's a 9". Is the tag data different on a 9.375" rear, or just "9" (the ratio is a gas-saving 2.50)? I won't be using that particular rear...
The other question - are the wagon's front disc brakes worth adapting to the '61 control arms & steering, or better to just get an aftermarket kit, or just use drums?
Thanks for your experience & expertise!

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I looked at the site, and according to some info there, it's a 9 3/8" rear - guess my question is now, "will a 9" rear fit into a housing that had a 9 3/8" rear in it?" I wasn't going to get into a real big project with this Starliner, just a cruise-in cruiser, so I didn't know if it was really worth it to put that 4 link rear in...
The tag on the wagon has this on it:
WDC - EM 6KC
2.50 9 090A

I guess the 4 3/4" bolt circle isn't such a big deal either since I was going to use Cragar SS mags & the uni-lug holes will fit from 4 1/2" to 5" bolt circles...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts