• "mystery" 460 camshaft from Mopar junkie $100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the battery in my truck's getting a little on the older side. It leaks a bit of acid and it worries me about replacing inner fenders and other parts on a 70s model F-150. So I've been considering putting down the $120-$130 for one of those Optima six-pack batteries. They claim to have more power for cold starts and running accessories. And the six-core design is more compact and more resistant against leaking and vibration. CarQuest has heir own version in stock for around the same price, but it is a single core, and rectangular, they claim it uses more space more efficiently...

And a guy that pulled into the parking lot this afternoon in his Ram 2500 turbo Cummins (7" stacks, air horns, CB, the whole shebang...) Got to peekin' under my hood and says he's got a larger cam for an early to mid-70s 460 that he'll give me for $100. He pointed out that Ford changed some stuff around in the 460 halfway through the decade, but he didn't go into any more detail. My LMC Truck catalog only has one camshaft listed for the 460, 73-79...

Any suggestions on what would be the better investment? I have another 460 motor out of a '74 F-250 laying in my Papa's garage I could potentially put the cam into, btw.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Go for the battery. You already know you need one. Besides, if you can't determine the profile of that cam, we all know how to calculate its value......Find out what it weighs and multiply by the going rate for scrap.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Consider that I sell flat tappet cams for 460s for like 75-85 bucks every day - - so the cam is not worth the coin...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts