460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have the front end kit for the Fairlane, so next weekend I'll be busy with that, and the new fuel system upgrade. The current slop in the front end on the Fairlane is down right scary. :shock: It should handle nicely once this is installed and aligned. 8) I bought it from Performance Suspension Technologies (PST). It's the kit with the Polygraphite bushings.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good

Pat,

I used those on my 62 Fairlane and they tightened things up real well. You'll feel a little more road noise, but hey, it's a race car. You'll be pleased.

James

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything you see in the pic, plus I have all new sway bar bushings and hardware (which I didn't need, but no delete discount), came to $950. The new center link was $202 of it, the Super Kit was $599, and I added new spring perches, pitman arm, and coil spring isolators. I wasn't concerned with saving a few bucks, and trimming things down. I worked alot of OT the past few months, so I just wanted to get the whole nine yards, and be done with it. I figure what's all those cubes, torque, and horsepower worth, if I can't enjoy it safely on the road. :wink:

Here's the site, so you can price out whatever you need. 8)

http://www.p-s-t.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finished installing all the front end parts, and I just have to reassemble some things I had to take off to do the job. The coil springs took most of the time. What a PITA to remove them. Once I figured out the driver's side, the passenger side went pretty quick. I couldn't just lower the lower control arm, and slide the spring out like the "book" says. These are 390 springs, and I don't know where my brother bought these from, but it took everything I had to compress them. The spring was 17" long, and I had to compress it to 12" to get it off the back end of the spring perch. What faith we put into spring compressors. I had to use a bunch of thick washers under the top nut on the compressor, because the rod length was so long, it would bottom out on the perch, before full compression to remove. With the spacers on there, the top jaws wouldn't fit throught the top hole on the shock tower. Finally, I installed it through the top in pieces. Bottom jaws first, then upper jaws, then I inserted the threaded rod with all the spacers. This did the trick. This was the first time I ever did a front end job like this, so I learned alot.

I didn't get a chance to even start the fuel system, so that will have to wait until next week now. I didn't snap any pics, because my hands were full of grease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts