460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a rulebook to see exactly what the rules on wheel spacers are? I have searched and have found about every answer you could imagine. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally found a answer. For those of you wondering they are legal if they are hubcentric or lugcentric. The studs still have to protrude past the nuts.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The studs still have to protrude past the nuts

Not true. The NHRA rulebooks states: The wheel spacer must not reduce the minimum permitted thread engagement below the limits established by fastener diameter. Example: A 7/16-inch stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16-inch. Nowhere does it say it must protrude through the nut. Please reread the rulebook and look at the illustration to clarify what the rule states.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nevs said:
The studs still have to protrude past the nuts

Not true. The NHRA rulebooks states: The wheel spacer must not reduce the minimum permitted thread engagement below the limits established by fastener diameter. Example: A 7/16-inch stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16-inch. Nowhere does it say it must protrude through the nut. Please reread the rulebook and look at the illustration to clarify what the rule states.
We had this very same discusion last year at my club meeting. And it is my understanding that the studs DO have to go past the nuts by minimum 7/16 of an inch. Bobby Z.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you have a 2008 NHRA rulebook, please go to page 84,Tires & Wheels:
5, section 5:2 .Look at the illustration. I don't disagree, that having the stud to the end of the nut is desirable, but any protrusion is of no benefit. I'm just repeating what the rulebook states. Perhaps you should ask your division director for a clarification? Just stating the facts as printed in the rulebook. Don't shoot me I'm only the messenger!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Nevs is correct, the NHRA rule book is worded so that the minimum acceptable amount the stud has to engage the hex portion of the lug (the strongest part of the lug) is an amount equal to the stud's diameter.

Pic from the NHRA rule book......

True, engaging ALL the lug threads (and the stud hanging past the lug body) is better, but it's not required to be legal. The minimum requirement is what the diagram shows.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
ky mustang said:
I remember back in machinist school the rule of thumb on threads was once you had at least 1/2 the diameter of the "stud" in the "nut" that was as strong as it could get.
Exactly,ky mustang. That's the point I was trying to make but wasn't getting across. And thanks D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. for posting the picture. Hopefully that clears the wording up for everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
ky mustang said:
I remember back in machinist school the rule of thumb on threads was once you had at least 1/2 the diameter of the "stud" in the "nut" that was as strong as it could get.

+ 2....I agree

1 - 12 of 12 Posts