460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So I want to run nitrous on my motor...
What is a good basic setup to run? Can I use my stock mech. fuel pump ?
my motorcraft duraspark 2 dizzy ? 750 DP carb? What all do I need to upgrade and measure ?

They guy who built the short block for my motor said he built it for the spray, but ... a lot of people just say stuff !

I just want to make sure I don't blow it up but 100HP of spray would be a lot of fun !
Just trying to set it up the right way, because I am really fighting the slap it on and push the button urge !
:eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Do you know what type of pistions you have? With only a 100hp shot the pistons would be my only concern. I wouldn't do it to cast or hyper pistons. Not if you rely on this vehicle. It is different if it is a toy and you have some money to play with. Then what the heck. Hit it until you let the smoke out!! Nitrous is hard on everything but a 100hp shot would be easy enough as long as the pistons were good quality. NOS sells the 125hp sniper system for $389. That is about the best deal out there for that power level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea that is what im looking for - I think I have chrom-molly rings and trw forged pistons... but i cant really say -

its been 10 years since the engine was built, and i have moved a few times since then and lost paperwork
I know everything is bolted together with studs, but that doesnt say much...

I wonder if the machine guy is still around and might have records... or if the shop has records -

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Do you use it as a daily driver or is it a toy?

You could maybe run a small scope in a plug hole and see if you can read anything on the top of a piston. But after 10 years of use you may only see black on the top of the piston.

However... If logic factors into this in any way, shape or form nobody is going to bolt a completely stock engine together with studs. That would be overkill. Unless it was Larry, Moe and Curly's machine shop doing the work. Chances are you have some good stuff in there.

Usually if you are going to hit a motor with a shot of nitrous you will need to gap the piston rings for the size shot of nitrous you will be using. Genaral rule of thumb is to gap them differently (different than stock) if you are going to hit it with anything more than a 150 shot then you need to gap them differently. Personally I'd stay with a 125 shot or below just to stay on the safe side. I whack my motor with a 325 shot using the NOS Big Shot plate system and needless to say I have them gapped appropriately.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok - So i did a little more looking !

They are DOVE heads, fully ported (bigger then golfballs) compared to my other motor sitting next to it -
heads are studded, rockers are studs, 1.73 blue racer (crane?) engine is balanced and the heads have big valves in them-
i can see in the spark holes cause there are the larger old school spark plugs -

not very black at all... still kinda shiny but i cant read the numbers -

Now my other question is -
Can I still run my mechanical fuel pump ? Or do i need a secondary to pump the gas to this gas inlet soloniod ? My Carb is a Holley 750 Double pumper
I think it uses a lot of gas as it is..

Right now I am running a duraspark 2 setup . with a blaster coil and a ,044 spark gap
Do I need to change this or advance the timing ?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Do you have a stock mechanical fuel pump or is it an aftermarket pump? Some of the aftermarket mechanical fuel pumps flow a good bit more than the stock pumps. You really need to find out the flow rate of what you have bolted on there before I can answer the question. I have electric fuel pumps on my stuff but I can figure this out for you if you know what you have. Let me know...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts