460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to spray my 466 the other night. This is in my mud truck and most of the classes are all motor. I set it up for a 150hp shot to see how it reacted, but was really disappointed. Thinking it got too cold and the pressure dropped too quickly, so I need some advice. The pressure guage was reading just a tic over 900psi after I purged before staging. I'm set on a WOT switch, so nothing fancy, just a real simple setup. I launched and couldn't really feel the hit, but by the time I hit 100' (of a 200' mud pit) the motor sounded like it started to stumble like it was getting too much fuel. I made it out of the hole, and checked my pressure guage and it was down to 600psi! :eek: Is it normal for pressure to drop that fast when it gets cold out? Air temp was in the mid to low 50's, so it did take a while to get up to the 900psi before my run, so would it have dropped that fast as well?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the warmer on it until I ran, but since I don't run an alternator, I took it off. It's not wired into the truck, but I use it with an external battery. That was how i got the pressure up to the 900psi in the 1st place. Just wondering if I needed to go higher on the pressure when it's really cold like that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You should look into the Nano system

http://www.nano-nitrous.com/4500competition.shtml

When I used to run nitrous, I always had it around 1050 psi. If it dropped from 900 psi to only 600 psi after a few seconds, I wonder if the bottle was even full. Even cold, a full bottle shouldn't loose pressure like that.

Your nitrous and fuel jets are sized usually assuming 950 psi. So if you only had 600 psi, the motor was getting way too much fuel vs the amount of nitrous.

Check your grounds also---a weak ground will make the selenoids not operate properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts