460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a rebuilt 466, i havent started it yet just turning over the the starter and checking compression, do i have to run it to get the rings to seat 1,2,and 3 all had 120 psi number 4 wasnt gettng pressure but then it caught and hit 120 just fine but i cant get the compression up

·
Registered
891 Posts
You probably shouldn't be cranking it over if it's never run without the intent to start it. Wiping all the assembly lube off the cam/bearings/lifters etc. is not a real good idea (unless it's a roller, than not a biggie, but still the assembly lube on the main and rod bearings should be considered)....Prime your oil pump, and, if it was mine, I wouldn't do any more cranking until I was ready to start it.

Lucas

·
Registered
914 Posts
You probably shouldn't be cranking it over if it's never run without the intent to start it. Wiping all the assembly lube off the cam/bearings/lifters etc. is not a real good idea (unless it's a roller, than not a biggie, but still the assembly lube on the main and rod bearings should be considered)....Prime your oil pump, and, if it was mine, I wouldn't do any more cranking until I was ready to start it.

Lucas
X2! Fire that thing up after priming it and break it in! Use good break in oil additive as well. Its your only chance you get one shot at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
compression

does it have hyd. lifters? if so that will factor in your compression problem too, crank it up and break in the cam and lifters and then see what you have after that, good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys so all is well, i almost forgot i posted this, but it seemed that the pos harbor freight compression tester releif valve was sticking. but for everyones concerns i was starting it a day later, so i wanted to make sure i had no leaks or anything of that sort. so i fired her up on my makeshift running stand, she is idleing fantastic, turn key starting and now im going through and going to be setting the timing. but she is purring like a kitten. thank you to all who has responded. sorry it was a false alarm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts