460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I heard this in rumorville about a month ago... They'll figure out how to keep 'm over 300 mph , even at 1000'.

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
All I've got to say is "It's about damn time"...!

I've been hearing rumblings of this from a few of the drivers for 5 years now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't think you'll see that much diff. in the trap speed, but at least it's an extra 320' of shutdown. It may be a short term solution but in the long run I think some of the national event tracks will either have to update their facilities or lose the event date.....

Jim Head is apparently looking at some aircraft stopping systems that show promise.

I'd also like to see the Worsham parachute mounting method be made a standard.

S

·
0 Posts
My opinion..

I'd just change the fuel mixture..

Or 1 type fuel for all..

Or maybe limit the charger to a spec ratio.

Les

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
you will see the trap speeds change around 30 mph,. At them speeds that is a considerable difference from what I understand.

Dan my N T/F friend says that 250 -280 is huge,. Comfortable at 250 but at 270 he becomes very uncomfortable in the car. :?

As far as "limitation" fuel pump/magneto would be the best way to performance restrictions. If limiting Nitro % they just turn em harder.

Personally- I don't think 1000' is going to cure the runaway/unconscious driver not breaking but it going to give a better buffer for the norm of conditions. Better catch net and stopping still is in need but this is part 1 of a good start. Hopefully they have more to come.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Hey they could use restrictor plates like Nascar....or use a 4 cylinder 151 cu inch limit.....or take up basket weaving....or hell just go ahead and change the American flag while you're at it.......D

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I LAUGH !!!!

I can remember when NHRA wanted to go to 1000 ft back in the 80's and a bunch of fans and racers bitched and moaned about it, saying it would ruin the sport.

NHRA's reasoning ( back then) was that the cars were getting too fast...........it never was implemented tho.

Nothing new here.......

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Question is, what would Top Fuel be like if the class was all out or unlimited? How fast would they be now?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reprinted from the Nov. 2, 1984 issue of National DRAGSTER
NORTH HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- The NHRA Board of Directors has announced that it will continue to sanction and conduct drag racing events at the current quarter-mile distance for the 1985 racing season.

This decision was based on the recommendations of a special safety review committee, which has been studying the issue of reducing the track standard to 1,000 feet throughout most of 1984.

Based on extensive input provided by various officials, racers, track operators, equipment manufacturers, car constructors, fans and other interested: parties, the committee has recommended a multi-stage program of safety improvements including, but not limited to:

1. A thorough review of the physical properties of racing facilities.

2. Upgraded requirements for race cars and safety equipment.

3. A reduction in the length of the finish-line speed traps.

4. Development and implementation of improved vehicle-arresting devices and systems.

5. Establishment of professional racer safety advisory committees to provide ongoing recommendations.

NHRA will continue to gather data on 1,000-foot racing to facilitate conversion to the 1,000-foot standard should it be deemed advisable at a later date.

So it should have happened a long time ago!!!

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
They'll probably spin it harder to gain ET in a shorter distance but, they still won't be going as FAST as they are now at the end.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
rmcomprandy said:
They'll probably spin it harder to gain ET in a shorter distance but, they still won't be going as FAST as they are now at the end.
I think the same potential for castastrofic failure is still there they just now have a additional buffer of 320'

I have not seen the new guidlines I am just wondering if they left the "rev limiter" rule in place.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Rev limiter only comes into play at launch, by big end, 1320 or 1000 with aero-load the engines are actually dragging down in RPM.

If you go back and watch a crap load of catostrophic engine failures, on 85% and 100% fuel... if it didn't go boom on launch, typical failure point is the 1000 foot mark. Seems to be a common stress/failure area. I don't know that the ruleing is designed as a MPH limiter as much as elminating that differnce in the common BOOM area.

I think all tracks should elminate the damn sand... and use a Navy carrier type trap net coupled to something like the Air Force BAK 12 arressting systems. Basically the cables of the net are attached to a B52 braking mechanism on both ends... so as the net (cables) are pulled the brakes come on and slow the thing.

With as light as the drag cars are, they might be able to get away with a single drum system otherwise known as a BAK 9, or perhaps even something a little lighter.

It will ruin the car bodies, but it will decelerate the vehicle over a 100 foot distance..... and if it can stop a damn multi ton aircraft at 300mph, it can sure stop a 2000lb race car.

·
Registered
560 Posts
That's a great idea kim, and at that point the car is gonna be junk anyway.
The other good thing is it's existing hardware, that should reduce the expenses involved.
Do you have any idea how much one of these things cost?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
kim said:
Rev limiter only comes into play at launch, by big end, 1320 or 1000 with aero-load the engines are actually dragging down in RPM. If you go back and watch a crap load of catastrophic engine failures, on 85% and 100% fuel... if it didn't go boom on launch, typical failure point is the 1000 foot mark. Seems to be a common stress/failure area. I don't know that the ruling is designed as a MPH limiter as much as eliminating that difference in the common BOOM area.
At launch if they break thru the tires and go on the limiter it puts cylinders out and if at the top end they come on the limiters it puts cylinders out. Either way it is still filling cylinders with the potential for an explosion.

There using the principle that catastrophic failure is happening after the 1000’ and the “sweet spot” for failure is 1220-1320 and if they get the cars shut down before that event it will be a fail safe and the additional 320’ as a buffer for shutdown.

With my lack of knowledge in the cable stop systems I am not sure I am a believer. Under normal conditions of a driver/car being strait and in control and the car being upright this may be ok but again the scenario would not allow for the upside down and tumbling and the freak And are the chassis reliable enough to handle the stress of the hook and catch system.

The safety catch nets on a system to catch I think would be a great addition for the protection against conditions like the Scott incident.

The whole idea has been looked into even before the Scott K incident it just didn't have priority, now it does, Jim Head is an engineer and actually owns the company that designs and build the systen that the US Navy/government presently uses. He has been asked to assist and NHRA given him permission to start the oricesss..

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The cable system the navy uses is a hydraulic system ( on ships) and is expensive... but variable. The net system they use is riggid.. ie net is strung, it has its elasticity, but, it is a last resort... before forward aircraft, and as such has about 10 feet of run out.

But take the nets carrier width and most tracks, well we arent asking someone to build something new....

Now stand those nets with the airforce (land based) runway braking system... and you can use 300 to 500 feet to decelerate a car, and not have any driver input at all. No tail hook, upside down, sideways... the net is 5 feet tall. Tension cables at 1" below ground and 5 feet off ground with net cables across the distance. Cars get wrapped in net...... and slowed to stop. If on fire, might be problem, but give fire fighters cutters to pop the cables and jerk the guy out the top... still better than 300 to zero....

·
Registered
560 Posts
That sound good, I think that should definitely be looked at, I was talking about this with one of the local track owners last night, and this sounds exactly like what we were discussing.
That sure beats the hell out of what happened to Scott, I don't ever want to see anything like that again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts