460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the motors built 71 429 stroked to 552
Comp cam 679/685 lift, rockers are verified ok
Something I've never run into before I have no oil at any of the exhaust rockers all the intakes is great.... Solid roller, with Howard's solid roller lifters I'm thinking it's a problem with the lifters oil holes on the exhaust lifters not lowering far enough to get the oil from the bore.... Any experiences????

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Bizzarre that only the exhaust rockers are dry.

You did rotate the engine over a little and try priming it more didn't you? If so I'm going with your thought. Manufacturing defect. ..weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in conversations with Howard's sending them the video and pictures the techs are baffled they are getting with their engineers tomorrow, I tried to attach the video here but the file is too large, if I flip the lifters backward tie bar to the Head get lots of oil my lifter bores were honed so I know the clearance is good I have 90 PSI of oil that should drop once they get the oil flow problem fixed on the lifters, I was very surprised that they have not heard of this issue beings everywhere I've read everybody is grooving the lifter to the oil hole I don't think I will do that I will see what Howard's will do for me.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
small notch from oil hole down, your base circle on ehx lobe is most likly the issue

not uncommon at all

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I'm in conversations with Howard's sending them the video and pictures the techs are baffled they are getting with their engineers tomorrow, I tried to attach the video here but the file is too large, if I flip the lifters backward tie bar to the Head get lots of oil my lifter bores were honed so I know the clearance is good I have 90 PSI of oil that should drop once they get the oil flow problem fixed on the lifters, I was very surprised that they have not heard of this issue beings everywhere I've read everybody is grooving the lifter to the oil hole I don't think I will do that I will see what Howard's will do for me.
tie bar goes up toward intake, not down toward block

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
small notch from oil hole down, your base circle on ehx lobe is most likly the issue

not uncommon at all
So this is what I'm realizing the more I read on people's problems
tie bar goes up toward intake, not down toward block
That was just for testing to make sure the oil flowed and boy does it flow I know they don't go that way and that's way too much oil.,..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope not the base, I've come to the conclusion that 1: more wear in the intake lifter bore than the exhaust, hence getting oil to rockers, found a few different brands that have a small area machined at the hole to the oil band of the lifter, due to all the street use now days, stock is at .874 , most new solids àre .875 so loss of clearance =loss of oil .
I read a post in here that covers why the diameter change and makes sense. ...less movement but you suffer up top, Soooo correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a lot of the manufacturers nowadays recommend a 10-weight oil like 10w30 10w40 instead of the heavier weight oil like 40 weight or 20w50 which would probably allow oil to make it to the rockers under this scenario.... I'm still an old school 20w50 guy and synthetic after the motors broke in.. I've been building motors and mechanicing professionally for over 30 years but this is my first solid roller setup I usually go hydraulic roller for anybody's engines I've put together so naturally this had never occurred to me cuz as soon as I pressure it up with my tank I always get oil to the rockers never too old to learn but can be quite expensive if you don't pay attention...lol I appreciate all the feedback so far you guys are great this is an awesome site a lot of information to be found over everybody's experiences.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What Rich said - very, very tiny scratch between the oil hole and the middle. Had to do that on my race 393C. A nick is a lot, I get a ton of oil up top. Not a problem when it's 1/8 mile at a time with 8 quarts available. Will be ordering restrictor push rods for the new 427 version. It happens when the bores are on the small side of the spec and the lifters are just right or a hair large. In my case, I got zero oil up top.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
What Rich said - very, very tiny scratch between the oil hole and the middle. Had to do that on my race 393C. A nick is a lot, I get a ton of oil up top. Not a problem when it's 1/8 mile at a time with 8 quarts available. Will be ordering restrictor push rods for the new 427 version. It happens when the bores are on the small side of the spec and the lifters are just right or a hair large. In my case, I got zero oil up top.
I recommend SMITH BROTHERS p/rods

Reactions: Blkjck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well without going into great detail Howard's cams are really great people as far as everybody I dealt with and I definitely will continue to buy more products from them basically in a nutshell it's exactly everything I've read got to do some modification and they really hated to tell me that but these particular lifters are designed for full out drag
So on that note for all the information I brought to them about their lifter they offered me several different options on lifters at cost I thought that was really awesome so of course I went to the best lifter they got bushed hippos I won't disclose at what they cost me but it was substantially cheaper than what they sell for at retail, apparently they've never had anybody go so in depth apparently on this issue with their lifters so win win all the way around , the lifters I have I will modify and use them in the other 460 D1VE A2B block I have ready to build and sell , I'm going to install the original lower end from this 429 block @.040 over it has been decked and honed and a new sleeve in number 4 cylinder,
IT will have a set of TRW 11-1 flat tops single eyebrow Pistons supposedly from the 1970s when I first built my 429 they don't have hardly any miles they've probably had 100 quarter mile passes, all completely balanced still look brand new if anybody is interested it will not have a camshaft I'll leave that to the buyer.
Again thanks for all the input keep in touch and have a great year, and again thanks for all the posts that are on this site it helped out a whole lot!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts