460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or did the refineries mess with the content of our gasoline??
Everything I have is now pinging like crazy, and I have'nt changed anything.
I mean, my small Nissan pickup was designed to run on the cheap stuff, and its never pinged just by driving around town, but lately, I've noticed that its been pinging just about everywhere.

My thought is that the gasoline has been "reformulated" or some such crap.
At least here in Kaliphornya, where the EPA and politicians think they know better than your engine does, the octane ratings have dropped from what we used to be able to get.

I've heard that 87 octane is more like 84 in reality...and 89 is like 86, and 91 is like 89.
The stuff is seriously "watered down" now.
I have'nt changed the timing or anything, but I've noticed the way all my cars are running worse than they did just 2 months ago.

Tell me Im not paranoid!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Winter/Summer gas formulations

You're probably not crazy. CA has winter and summer gas formulations, so I'm told.

When I was dyno tuning 10+ cars a week, every week, there would come a time just before spring...every year...where the phone would start ringing with customers I'd previously tuned some months back complaining about detonation.

As a matter of practice, I tuned 2deg and 1/2 AFR below "first knock at peak torque" on a dynojet 248. After having the phone ring off the hook a few years in a row, I changed that practice to 4deg BTDC below first knock at peak torque for street cars and/or would sell the customer a 2 position chip to pull an additional 2deg of spark when necessary.

Another wonderful thing about CA fuel to add to the list.

Byron

·
Registered
208 Posts
could this be related to the fact that the 5 qts of mobil 10/30 non syn i just bought smells like limited slip additive? (I.E. cat pi$$)Probly not, but i did and it does. whats with that?

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I read some where a while back that the EPA was giving the refineries a brake on some of there regulations. So they could produce more gasoline quicker to help bring the cost down at the pump. It has been a while since I read the artical, but that might have something to do with it. Plus the fact of the Summer and winter mixtures. I know diesel has a summer and winter mix mainly in the northern states.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's not just CA.......I've noticed the same thing in KY also the last few months. I have a '97 F150 and I have to watch where I buy gas at or it pings and the gas milage suffers also. I switched stations the other day and bought 93 octane, that has seemed to help at least for now anyways.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's here in Tx too. The 2004 rattles on 87 at heavy throttle until it gets fully warm. Mix in a tad of 89 and it stops. Race horse piss @ $2 per gallon IMHO.

D

·
0 Posts
Your lucky the Weazel Piss is only $2 a gallon Try $2.40 for 87 here in NY !!! The Empire State !!! Can't even imagine what the guy in Cali are paying !!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just love detonation....

It's the only way my diesel runs right..... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
fordpower said:
It's not just CA.......I've noticed the same thing in KY also the last few months. I have a '97 F150 and I have to watch where I buy gas at or it pings and the gas milage suffers also. I switched stations the other day and bought 93 octane, that has seemed to help at least for now anyways.
And Ohio as well. Not to mention it seems the colder it gets the worse the mpg. But are we now using that reformulated gas?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Ranger50 said:
I just love detonation....

It's the only way my diesel runs right..... :lol: :lol:
Before you beat that drum too loudly, you might wanna realize that there is renewed interest in the V10 Fords because they are in some cases now CHEAPER to run than the PSDs here on the west coast.

How's that for a seriously screwed up fuel economy.

Byron

·
Registered
728 Posts
i was leaving san antonio raceway friday and on my way back on I 10 i found a station selling for 1.93, damn near wet myself so i stopped in and filled up, not high quality gas theyre selling right now, so good thing i have canyons on the top of my pistons and D3 heads

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oxygenated fuel. What the he!! does that mean anyway? To me, I think it means they add oxygen which would likely mean leaning out the fuel mixture and increasing combustion temperature causing detonation. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

·
Registered
208 Posts
moparman said:
Oxygenated fuel. What the he!! does that mean anyway? To me, I think it means they add oxygen which would likely mean leaning out the fuel mixture and increasing combustion temperature causing detonation. Just a thought that crossed my mind.
I think it means its cut with an alcohol. Alcohols are oxygen bearing molecules. I think methanol b/c if i remember correctly, when oxygenated fuels were introduced, the higher % mixtures were destroying fuel systems that werent compatible. Methanol is corrosive and eats rubber alive. This may not be correct...chm110whatever was a long time ago! :roll:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Just FYI...

I filled up the Marauder today and developed a subtle misfire at lean light throttle...

Out comes the scan tool, and sure enough, my trims are moving from where they were when I tuned/trimmed it out last.

It moves about 5% when the fuel formulation changes. And, from winter to summer gas, the trim moves in the rich direction which explains the lean misfire. Coincidence? Bad gas? Could be...or maybe confirmation.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Gas price

You guy's are lucky ! up here were paying 86.9 cents per liter which works out to with an .85 cent Dollar to $2.65 a US gallon for 84 octane, This year I've been told my C-16 is going to cost me $18 a gallon if I buy 3 or more drums !!! Got to love free trade
Frank

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Re: Gas price

Frank Merkl said:
You guy's are lucky ! up here were paying 86.9 cents per liter which works out to with an .85 cent Dollar to $2.65 a US gallon for 84 octane, This year I've been told my C-16 is going to cost me $18 a gallon if I buy 3 or more drums !!! Got to love free trade
Frank
18 bucks a gallon is a deal breaker for me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts