460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A question for the experts out there. I disassembled a stock 460 that I pulled from my '93 F350. I'm the second owner of the truck, bought it with relatively low miles (~50k) back in '95. The engine hadn't been rebuilt before I bought it, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Looking in the lifter valley, I see the numbers 2, 3, or 4 written next to each cylinder, as seen in the picture below. I'm curious, can anyone tell me what these numbers might mean? Think they are from the factory, or do you think the engine was opened up by the previous owner? I checked and the cylinders are still stock diameter...not overbored. Would love to hear your thoughts!

RC

Brown Sleeve Metal Circle Pattern

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions Guys! Tootsie pop...I LOL!!

I wondered about the clearance cuts for the pushrods too?? Would one do that if the decks weren't 90* to each other? Their depth of cut gradually decreases going from cylinder 1 to 4.

I looked closely at the block and found several codes punched in:
2231H -- on the rear china wall, near oil pressure gauge
E1422 -- on the front china wall, near the distributor
2H19KB -- on the front face of block
Do these mean anything to you?

Starting to think my block got some attention before I bought the truck. :unsure:

RC

·
Premium Member
5,665 Posts
... I disassembled a stock 460 that I pulled from my '93 F350. I'm the second owner of the truck, bought it with relatively low miles (~50k) back in '95. The engine hadn't been rebuilt before I bought it, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Looking in the lifter valley, I see the numbers 2, 3, or 4 written next to each cylinder, as seen in the picture below. I'm curious, can anyone tell me what these numbers might mean?
RC

View attachment 94026
Those numbers reference cylinder sizing for piston selection during engine manufacting and assembly.

Looks like the passenger side may have been clearanced for pushrods. No marks like that on the drivers side.
Those are tooling marks from when the lifter bosses were bored--they are very common on D9TE cylidner blocks in partiuclar.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine's from 1976. It doesn't have the numbers.
From 1976 to early 90's... there were huge changes in quality control at the big 3.

By the late 90's, rod and main bearings became select fit on several gas engines at GM (diesel engines had been doing this for years before). Anyway, there were multiple bearing choices to accomodate very minor variations in manufacturing... on both the journal and the bore sides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got numbers like that in the valley of the 460 in my 1995 F-250 at all cylinders.
After reading down through this thread, I'm starting to get a little worried that the rebuild parts I bought may be no good, if different cylinders had different dimensions going on.
Has anyone successfully rebuilt a 460 with numbers like this that can shed some light on how it went?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts