460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 12' aluminum flat bottom jon boat to use for pond and small river fishing here in NC and was wondering what size engine would be the max for it? I have a chance at a Johnson 9.9 and was wondering if that was a bit much.I had a similar Evinrude 9.9 but that was on a fiberglass 14' v hull. I want to make sure that I get something that will move fairly well against the current when we fish the rivers. Any ideas or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
On the Transom there's a metal tag stating the biggest motor allowed for that boat ..

I usually go with that size .. seeing it's the biggest and I know It'll have enough power to get it up on plane and gives you good speed WOT..
Now you don't have to have it WOT ... once your on plane you can back off a little and cruise @ half throttle...

I once had a 16' Ranger Bass Boat .. the tag said 135 Max .. So the guy that had it before me got a 150 Merc. and put 135 stickers on it ...
Talk about Fly ... just skipping along @ 72 MPH .. what a ride .. should have never sold it .. but I needed Truck Pulling Motor parts ...

ShaZam

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a little 12 foot fiberglass boat thats rated 10 hp. I've seen other 12-14 footers with 35-50hp hanging of the transom. ( like Boston Whalers)
It all depends on the boat design. 20-25 hp?

Trukpulr is right on, the tag is the only way to really know for sure.

If you look at that little tag, you'll see it says maximum load too! Usually a boat that size is around 600-700 lbs. With aluminum heads, I don't see a 429 being a problem! lol :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have a extra 429 laying around, just maybe :twisted: . The tag is missing on the transom or it is under the board across the back, but I think I am going to go with the short shaft 9.9 which should be plenty since it is a fairly light boat. I just want to be able to go up stream without any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts