1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Oil Company subjest to change oil every 3600 miles or 3 month witch ever comes first the an oil will start braking down after it goes through some heat cycles.That is for regular sea oil it used to be on the oil cantainers haven't looked for it on them as of lately.I try to change mine every 2500 on high milage cars and 3000 on low milage

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I use full synthetic and change it every 5000 miles. Makes it easier to keep track of when it's time to change the oil. Doing it this way got me 240,000+ miles from my 1990 Towncar without any issues.

For a new car, I'd run conventional oil for the first few oil changes at 3000 mile intervals then switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I think it all depends on what oil you're using and how you're using the engine. On my wife's car she's been running it 10-12,000 miles on a change using Mobil 1. She has a weekly commute of about 550 miles all highway and 90% interstate. The engine uses about 1 quart of oil between changes and it always looks very nice when changed.

I remember reading literature that I got at the PRI show from a synthetic oil maker. They recommended running their oil for 1/2 season in your circle track car. Then drain it and use it in your hauler truck for another 12,000 miles before it was done! That's a lot of running.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I run 7,500 miles in the powerstroke (Rotella) and 5,000 in all my others between oil changes. We run good oil (RP) in the gas burners, so it had better do well. In my 8.3 cummings, it depends more on time than on mileage

·
Registered
823 Posts
Some of the synthetics will last that long, but filter should still be changed every 3000.

Saw a study once where they tested the different oils over however many miles to see how they broke down. Change filter every 3000, topped off, and sent small sample of oil to lab for testing. Like I siad, I wouldn't sweat runnig a good synthetic for 2-3 changes if it still looks clean to the eye, but filter must be changed. Personally the 460 in my truck gets new Mobil1 every 3000, but it gets beat on in the woods and sees regular tow pig duty. Changing oil is cheaper and less time consuming than freshening up the engine.

·
8,522 Posts
The oil that comes in the new Fords is VERY good stuff. If one drives 2,000 or more miles a month i would not think twice about running the oil 6,000 miles or more between changes .

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The oil that comes in the new Fords is VERY good stuff. If one drives 2,000 or more miles a month i would not think twice about running the oil 6,000 miles or more between changes .
I was hoping you would add your .2. That's some driving, I'll be lucky to do 900 miles a month. I realize oil has improved tremendoulsy over the last ten years but have the MC filters followed suite? It just goes against everything I have been taught, I may extend my intervals a bit but I just cant see driving that many miles before the first change.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I run Ford full syn. in all of my Taurus's and change every 7k. Neither of them use any oil between changes and they both have 140k plus. Oil has improved more than 100% in the last 20yrs. imo

·
Registered
198 Posts
i used to work for bmw and the oil change intervals were close to 15000 miles and they used castrol full synthetic. i run castrol full synthetic in my truck and run it for about 7000.

·
Registered
180 Posts
oil change ?

congrats on new truck. they are great I talked to a ford truck engineer at sema about engine design and he was there with the 6.2 and the 6.7 and ford builds them to last 150,000 miles with little service so if you are going to own it longer than that I would say go with what you are comfy with other wise run it like you stole it my 97 F150 with a 4.6 has 230,000 and uses one quart at 3,000 and that is when I change my oil at it has had 10w30 valoline and it still is at one per change good luck with the new truck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts