460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions on a good oil filter adapter for my 460. I will be plumbing in an oil cooler thermostat and a nice oil cooler I got off of an airplane.
The oil cooler has -8 fittings and the thermostat from canton can take up to -12 fittings but currently has -8 in it from the previous car I used it in.

Obviously I want an adapter that does not impede oil flow. I would like one that lets the filter screws right onto the block adapter but if I need I can use a remote adapter.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good adapter for my use? This is going in a 71 f350.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mid-70's early 80's f-250-f350 and e-250 vans came with oil cooler adapters from the factory if they had a trailer tow package. Also look at motorhomes, they could also come with them. There are also the 1969-70-71 adapters that came on the Boss and Cobra-jet cars but those would be pretty pricey. The Boss, Cobra-jet cars used 5/8" / -10 sizing.

·
Registered
92 E350 Cutaway RV
4 Posts
I am looking for suggestions on a good oil filter adapter for my 460. I will be plumbing in an oil cooler thermostat and a nice oil cooler I got off of an airplane.
The oil cooler has -8 fittings and the thermostat from canton can take up to -12 fittings but currently has -8 in it from the previous car I used it in.

Obviously I want an adapter that does not impede oil flow. I would like one that lets the filter screws right onto the block adapter but if I need I can use a remote adapter.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good adapter for my use? This is going in a 71 f350.
Check out this company. I used their oil filter adapter and it is a very nice billet piece.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just remembered i still have an adapter from my turbo 2.3 that was in my xr4ti. Pretty sure it will work.
Does anyone see any issues with -8 lines for the oil cool or would that be too small. At most this engine will see 6k rpm and probably not even that.

·
Registered
92 E350 Cutaway RV
4 Posts
I just remembered i still have an adapter from my turbo 2.3 that was in my xr4ti. Pretty sure it will work.
Does anyone see any issues with -8 lines for the oil cool or would that be too small. At most this engine will see 6k rpm and probably not even that.
I will be using -8 on everything. I am having Parker 266-8 hydraulic hoses made up at a hydraulic shop with 226-8 fitting to connect the cooler, remote oil filter and the block adapter all together. A Derale Electra-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers #15800. The system will be bulletproof.

·
Registered
92 E350 Cutaway RV
4 Posts
If it has a factory oil cooler, which you will be deleting hopefully, use the factory hoses and insert a 90 degree coolant fitting from Summit for the delete. Factory oil cooler failure can be catastrophic.

·
Registered
92 E350 Cutaway RV
4 Posts
The L & L instructions FYI. Remove the oil cooler adapter from Ford and install the adapter from L&L, then screw the remote kit directly on to the block. This was the best remote oil filter adapter I could find. GOPurePower.com also has nice adapters along with reusable oil filters (FYI).

·
Registered
264 Posts
#8 is to small. An aircraft cooler might be to small depending on what it was for. You want at least #10 or #12 hoses. Keep the bends to a minimum and use either straight or 45 degs fittngs as much as possible. Stay away fro, 90 deg ones unless they're big. I always use a grinder and knock off any sharp edges on the adapter and fittings. The oil flows easier and smoother.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mid-70's early 80's f-250-f350 and e-250 vans came with oil cooler adapters from the factory if they had a trailer tow package. Also look at motorhomes, they could also come with them. There are also the 1969-70-71 adapters that came on the Boss and Cobra-jet cars but those would be pretty pricey. The Boss, Cobra-jet cars used 5/8" / -10 sizing.
I've seen factory oil coolers with the adapter that attaches at the oil filter and has large hose -10? from the adapter to the cooler, all the way up to the early 90's if I remember correctly. Most often seen on dually F-350 trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts