460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I know there are some past post regarding oil pressure and the brand of filter.

Just thought I would share my recent experience.

I've had my F100 with a 429 for close to 10 years now. I've always run Valvoline VR1 40w oil with a motorcraft FL1A oil filter. Only oil gauge in the truck is the stock one in the cluster. Pointer is always in the center or a click below on the range indicator.

Last week I decided to let someone else do my oil change. I supplied the oil and filter. I could not find a FL1A in town, so I went to NAPA and got a 1515 Gold.

When I picked the truck up, I immediately noticed my oil pointer was far left, just above the minimum mark. My first thought was the mechanic had not used the oil I provided, but I trust him. So the new brand filter came to mind. I found a FL1A in a nearby town, removed the NAPA, and put in the FL1A and a quart of oil. Immediate fix. Pressure gauge is now back to center. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thats odd...I run the 1515 and have tried many different filters with zero difference showing on mechanical gage. I did switch from 10-30 to vr1 40 and saw a net gain of 4psi hot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is odd. Could be I just got a bad one. Either way, sticking with the Motorcraft for now on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Motorcraft FL1A is my default go-to, and has been rated well above "average" for the many years I've used them. There are better filters that come and go, but this one has been consistently good, so it's a safe bet for me to buy by the case. AFAIK, they have always been made by Purolator in various forms, and at last count was using the Pure One filter media. Any updated info in this changing world is always appreciated.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use Jomars but the Napa filters are or were made by wix and should be a good quality filter but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been a manufacturing problem with that filter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts