460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a Ford 460 rebuilt it a year or two ago and never ran it for more than a min or two till today. Got oil pressure and sounds ok. Then I look under the truck there a good size puddle of oil. Coming between the trans and engine. I know it’s only a couple of things that can do this.
The bolt on the driver side trans on top.
The oil pressure sending unit
The rear Main seal.

I I know it’s not the oil pressure sending unit the bell housing and back of block are clean.
the bolt for the the the trans has a little oil on it but I don’t think nearly enough to cause the puddle.
I’m just curious if you all have any other thoughts. I will attach photos
Water Wood Road surface Sunlight Asphalt
Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Font Office supplies

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, that oil looks awful Black for a fresh motor that hasn't been run much????? You sure its not transmission fluid (IF you have a manual transmission.) good luck take care be safe tim
Yeah. I thought the same thing. It’s not the newest oil. The dip stick looks golden brown. That stuff is black. I know it’s not atf. I have an auto.

· Registered
576 Posts
Where are the oil galley plugs?
The oil galley plugs are located on both sides/both ends of block and just above centerline of the camshaft There are 2 on the back and front of block(total of 4), with an additional galley plug located on front of block outside of where timing cover mounts, facing driver's side of block about 2.5 to 3 inches below water pump port. Hope this helps

· Registered
215 Posts
I think its monster blood from the creature that steals all the 10mm sockets, he must have been lurking around under the hood since it was setting, and a good place to hide till you started it and wounded him never seen one in person there like big foot but you have one in your garage, get a bb rifle a taped on flashlight a 6 pack of beer turn the lights of and hunt it down.....just poking some fun:ROFLMAO:

· Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
794 Posts
Don't forget to put a ring of garlic around the carb while waiting on the monster.... 😹

Edit: try some sealant on that top tranny bolt that goes into the lifter valley... It may not be the main culprit but an oz. of prevention.. blah blah blah...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts