460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run a ford performance M-6675-A460 rear sump pan? It is listed as a 6qt pan but is at the full mark on the stick with only 5qts in it. Is it in fact a 5qt pan or is the dipstick supplied with the pan incorrect?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
THEY NEED 7QS, tested many on the dyno get to around 6200 press starts to fall, add 1, never drops off. these are on engines we just dynoed. things could be done with restrictors in the eng ,but nothing wrong with 7 in this pan. remark stick.

One guy blew his stuff up twice, met me at the dyno with it, I asked if it was full of oil, he said yes. Had 6qs in it,

first pull went down to 4os FROM 65, Added 1 never droped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With 6qts it is over the full mark on my stick after being ran. I am seeing a drop in pressure on the highway around 3000rpm and it goes back up after idling, I was thinking I may be aerating the oil having it over the full line with a 4.3 crank. I haven't installed a numbered pressure gauge yet just going off the one in the dash. Will going to 7qts with a stroker crank cause an issue?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
A quote from the man himself JON KAASE..................

"Well, I’ll tell you one thing that gets overlooked too much, and that’s the oil pan. If you run any engine out of oil, you’re left with a big, smoking piece of trash. If you change the bore size or the crankshaft, the old oil pan may not work. Things like windage or uncovering the sump can really get you in trouble. The oil pan is a really important part of the motor. It’s a big deal, and you can’t ignore it".

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
405 Posts
HI, HHHMMM... I think as long as there is 1 to 2 " of oil above the pump pick up screen at speed .. it would be fine as long as it don't suck dry.. NOW with that said I am NO pro at this (Oiling). but over filling can lead to foaming/wiping up the oil.. just my .o2?? I'm sure someone with more knowlage well chime in..
good luck
tim

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
lol, YOU guys need more hands on, with 7 its not over filled at 6000 and above,or even 5000, DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT ALL THE OIL COMES out when you pull the drain plug? The reason its not over filled is the fact it take a while for the oil to get back to the pan,

about the only time you have 2'' above the sump is when the engine is off

Most dont even check to see if pickup is too high off the bottom either, another reason some engines die. In those it better be over filled or IT WONT LIVE. Best to just re do the pickup to get it right.

Theres a diff between over filled and what the engine needs for oil . Even with a dry sump.

No engine should loose oil presser when going up in RPM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll have to get a real gauge on it and see exactly what's going on. Once I do that I will check the pickup and adjust the level as needed. How far off the bottom should the pickup be? One other thing is that I never noticed it doing this with the 30wt break in oil, only since putting the 20w-50 in.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
And at least a 1/4" off the bottom of pan! Don't get too close to the bottom either!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts