460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 6 quart rear sump pan & a high volume pump. Question, is it safe to turn 6700-7000 with this pan or should I break out the wallet and get the 9 qt pan with the scraper & windage tray? I don't want to drop the dime if I really don't have to.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I'd think you might make it through the 1/8 without sucking it dry ,but in the 1/4 I'd say your in trouble. The high volume pump moves alot of oil.JMO

·
Registered
476 Posts
My 10 second car will drain a 10 qt pan in the quarter. I had to get an accumulator because I had no oil pressure until I was on the return road. However, that's with a flat pan - if you have a sump, you might get by. Why not break out the MIG instead of your wallet and add a few quarts to the pan? I just bolt the pan to an old block (or even to the welding table) to keep it from warping, and weld away.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If you do extend your pan ,don't forget to do the same to the pick up tube :wink:

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
toss the high volume pump and get a Kaase and I never build an engine without a windage tray helps keep the oil in the bottom of the pan...I would probably get a 9 qt but the 6 would hold you for a while...

Randy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I thought about cutting the pan and extending the pickup,but I want the tray and scraper for hp and oil return reasons. I powder coated the pan already and I sure don't want to cut it. I guess I am just being a big baby about spending $$ at this point. I sound like someone who's trying to lose weight by ordering a diet coke with there fried chicken dinner :shock: . Thanks guys I will think a little longer on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts