460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will try and make this short. i have a cobra with a 460 out of a donor 73 tbird ( i think ) i did not build it. it was finished in 03, i bought last year ( 9/09 )...700 miles on it in 6 years.
first month i had it, it sheard the cam pin, i replaced that. when running again oil pump went out ( believe it was hi volume/hi pressure ) replaced with stock. it had been running ok, with a myriad of other problems, but oil pressure was not one of them...until recently the oil pressure has been dropping....replaced push rods and lifters a few weeks ago, but oil pressure continues to be low now..20 while driving and 10 at stop signs....i drained oil and added straight 40 weight...that helped keep it there....mechanic ( who did up top work ) says its probably bearings down below...i am starting with installing a new hi pressure oil pump vs pulling engine yet...see if that helps....( did i mention i AM NOT a mechanic, but slowly becoming one at this rate. anyone have any other cost efficient ideas before i pull the engine and do an over haul ? if i havent give specific info please ask.
thanks very much.
sh

·
Registered
119 Posts
With so few miles on her you could drop the pan, and roll out the old bearing's swap in a new pump. Keep in mind that you want to go through her, when you are ready

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does your pressure start out High, then drop over time? If it is, thats what happened to me, And that makes it Cam Bearings.

·
Registered
739 Posts
SH: I wouldn't just replace that oil pump, if your going to have the pan down, your'e going to be money ahead to pull the rod, and main caps down, and check the bearings. There's a very strong possibility that this is where the problem is! Check your crank journals for score marks from debris in the oil. How do the inserts look, down to copper, scored, burnt? Since you didn't build this engine, you have no real way of knowing what kind of care and expertise went into it. Don't take short cuts, you'll find out in the long run - it just doesn't pay. Just my 2 cents!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slip- what does "go thru her when your ready" mean ?

DAVE - yes it up around 40-50 when started and cold ( although not cold here in dallas this summer ) but once warm it drops in hurry. Cam bearings vs what other ones ? main ?

Wayne...thanks for info but you give me more credit than i deserve, thinking i can do that...the pan is down, now waiting for pump...if i knew how to do what you said i would really try that.....i dont know what i would be looking for ...

sorry i did not mean to waste anyones time....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem. I pulled my motor and went through it,found that all the rod bearings were bad and the mains weren't much better. The cam bearings were fine although I am replacing them with wide ones I bought from Lem. Just bite the bullet and tear into it. I'll have peace of mind when it goes back together, knowing its right.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
FWIW, I've had nothing but troubles with stock width cam bearings and higher than normal spring pressures.
Rob

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your not wasting anyone's time here. Most of us get on here to burn time. This is all a part of the learning/hot rodding/racing/experience. The most professional guy on this forum had to start by pulling his first oil pan sometime.

Lets start simple by letting us know what the inside of the pan looks like. You should see no foreign debris in the pan. Lets look for gross failures first.

Cut the oil filter apart (not with an abrasive wheel use tin snips to cut it apart)
Pictures would mean more than words here.

Wiggle each rod on the crank journal from side to side (front to back of car). All should feel relatively the same.

Shine a flashlight up at each cam journal and look for any shifted cam bearings.

If all looks well here ensure you have the gasket under the oil pump. Re-install and let us know the results.

If you want to know more feel free to ask. There are no stupid questions when it comes to making the fords outrun the chebbies.

Waiting on your response.

Adrian

·
Registered
36 Posts
hartprods -

Well, as everyone else has said, check all your bearings. They are one of the first places you dont want to skimp on. Nor do you want to learn that the hard way.

Like everyone else is saying, Check your bearings - Main, Rod, and Cam. Cheap to pick up, easy to replace. Since the pan is off, why not right?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Maybe find a friend with a little knowledge of engines. Even a, ahem, chevy guy or there are any number of books that outline what to do and what to look for. I agree that you should slow down and check things out just for peace of mind if nothing else. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts