460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a fresh built 460 bored 30. Forged pistons I beam rods high volume oil pump. Solid lift flat tappet cam. Trick flow heads pretty hot motor. Also running a 10 qt oil pan from a f700. My problem is at idle it is at 70 cold 35 hot and 55 at 2000. But under any hard acceleration my oil pressure will drop to 20 and stay at 20 regardless of rpm. But if u shut it off for a minute and start it back up it comes right back up to where it is supposed to be. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
298 Posts
You might have something in your heads drain back holes restricting flow. Next time it happens, stop and pull a cover and see how much oil is upstairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might have something in your heads drain back holes restricting flow. Next time it happens, stop and pull a cover and see how much oil is upstairs.
OK will do because I know I cleaned and Dremel the oil drain back holes in the block just to make sure

·
Registered
108 Posts
Canton likes to suggest their accusump for this type of issue.

You have a force measurement for your acceleration?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Still makes me think somehow the oil pump relief valve is sticking. When you shut it off, it resets itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still makes me think somehow the oil pump relief valve is sticking. When you shut it off, it resets itself.
I am honestly thinking the same thing to cause I drained oil and refilled with new filter. Vr1 20-50 my pan holds 10 but I keep adding more than that in 1 quart increments all the way up to 15 and it does it in free rev. Once it gets passed 4500 rpm boom that’s when it does it but it will hold at 40 psi now. I shut it down for 15 seconds start it back up and it’s back at 45 idle and 60 when reving. But the second you get in the higher rpms it does the same thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a fresh built 460 bored 30. Forged pistons I beam rods high volume oil pump. Solid lift flat tappet cam. Trick flow heads pretty hot motor. Also running a 10 qt oil pan from a f700. My problem is at idle it is at 70 cold 35 hot and 55 at 2000. But under any hard acceleration my oil pressure will drop to 20 and stay at 20 regardless of rpm. But if u shut it off for a minute and start it back up it comes right back up to where it is supposed to be. Any help would be much appreciated
Sounds like oil getting aerated by the crank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would need to know what is being used for scraper and tray, no?

Issue is decribed as under hard acceleration not under heavy load...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hard acceleration the oil slams to the rear of the sump. But oil pressure should return to normal when you stop accelerating and it comes back to the oil pickup, if a front sump system. Unless the pickup is not in the proper height location to the pan floor. F700 pan, front or rear sump?
But if you're setting stopped at idle and it still isn't returning to normal, I'd still be looking at the pump/relief valve.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hard acceleration the oil slams to the rear of the sump. But oil pressure should return to normal when you stop accelerating and it comes back to the oil pickup, if a front sump system. Unless the pickup is not in the proper height location to the pan floor. F700 pan, front or rear sump?
But if you're setting stopped at idle and it still isn't returning to normal, I'd still be looking at the pump/relief valve.

Says rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts