460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've got a total noob question here. The short story is that I rebuilt a 460 13 years ago and left it on an engine stand with two engine bags taped at the bottom around it. Somehow dirt dobbers were able to get into the bags and filled a bunch of holes with sand. I was able to pull the motor completely apart and clean it really good.

My question is that I'm afraid some sand has gotten into the oil passage at the oil pressure sensor hole. I was wondering if there's someway I can hook up an air line to blow anything out of that hole with some solvent or anything. Got any ideas?

Please don't hate on me too much, I was 15 when I built the motor.

If you're curious as to what the build sheet for the engine of a 15y/o that long ago was it has: 1977 Lincoln block, .30 over, hypereutectic pistons 9.5:1, Sum-3500 cam, iron heads port-matched with 3angle job, edelbrock performer manifold, edelbrock 750 cfm carb

·
Registered
119 Posts
If the motor is still apart. Try using a rifle cleaning set with some solvent, then use water hose to blast all passages, blow dry with compressed air and paper towels...repeat this process as many times as needed to get her clean, spray with a water dispersant such as liquid wrench when you know that you will be neglecting it, you will get surface rust in short order if you don't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll see if I can get it all out with that....I've got the Mr. Gasket engine cleaning brush set, but couldn't really get in the passage there all that well. I guess if I'm not 100% I got all the sand out, I'll just go get it hot tanked again. No use in taking the risk for $100 bucks I guess.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Remember that the tank will eat the cam bearings:) you can fabricate some cool cleaning tools out of a metal shirt hanger

also I hope that you isolated everything, so that they go back in their original location.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's good info there. I had no idea about the hot tank destroying the cam bearings until about a week ago when I was weighing my options. It's $112.50 after tax for the hot tank, new cam bearings and freeze plugs. I did keep track of everything really well, but everything except the rocker arms is new or numbered. I guess it's pretty cheap insurance for a motor I've been dreaming about driving for a LONG time.

I still don't have my '55 F100 ready for the motor to go in, but I'll fab up a test stand for it, and I think hearing that baby run will get me super motivated to finish my project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts