460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on advice for rear sump pump last year i got a high volume. wish i didnt.
i run 75 on cold start. not driving yet but concerned about leaking seals with high pressure.
i dont need another problem...

comments, advice,
run 5w 30 ?
reduce pressure ??

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
765 Posts
Drop to 5-30 and see what you get on cold start and after warmed up.. worst part about a hi-volume oil pump is getting too much oil in the top end of the engine if you've not prepped for it..

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
on advice for rear sump pump last year i got a high volume. wish i didnt.
i run 75 on cold start. not driving yet but concerned about leaking seals with high pressure.
i dont need another problem...

comments, advice,
run 5w 30 ?
reduce pressure ??
75 on a cold start is not what I would consider crazy high. Let us know what it is hot at idle and cruise.

·
Registered
148 Posts
+1, I'd say 70 psi is acceptable cold. System max is typically around 100 allowable. The goal is staying above minimums warm pressure, while staying below max at cold. One of mine is odd that way, with 75+ on a 50°F cold start, and drops to 20-25 at ±1000 rpm when warm around 175-180°. Higher is again acceptable, realizing it does nothing for you while adding stress and some drive wear. Regulate your warm pressure with viscosity, and seasonally if required. Or, switch to a pump volume more appropriate to your application. Your call!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1, I'd say 70 psi is acceptable cold. System max is typically around 100 allowable. The goal is staying above minimums warm pressure, while staying below max at cold. One of mine is odd that way, with 75+ on a 50°F cold start, and drops to 20-25 at ±1000 rpm when warm around 175-180°. Higher is again acceptable, realizing it does nothing for you while adding stress and some drive wear. Regulate your warm pressure with viscosity, and seasonally if required. Or, switch to a pump volume more appropriate to your application. Your call!
im ok now with 5/30. i always went to heavier oil but never saw 75 on my fords.
not in mood to do pump again!!!
tnx guys...
now back to clutch trbl....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im ok now with 5/30. i always went to heavier oil but never saw 75 on my fords.
not in mood to do pump again!!!
tnx guys...
now back to clutch trbl....
its still over 75 cold, never under.
im going to play with a bleeder valve at the gage port, trickle some back to pan. see if i can set it, like 50-60

report back later

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
765 Posts
its still over 75 cold, never under.
im going to play with a bleeder valve at the gage port, trickle some back to pan. see if i can set it, like 50-60

report back later
If you can adjust it down to aboot 25-30 lbs on a warm idle I'd leave it right there... 😉

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
learned it ! got valve but didnt have fittings to put it in so i ran the 1/8 bleed line open.
even with a slight leak in the gage fitting the reading was 75 on cold start...
the valve, not used could make it higher.
i suppose its because the gage port is at the end of the oil flow line,after all pressured bearings...
i may try a 1/4 valve, line...???
later...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Soo... my read is your worried about what the gauge reads more the the actual pressure in the motor?Bleeding pressure from the gauge line probably will reduce engine oil pressure a little but IMHO,not that good of an idea.Leave it alone till you get it on the road.75 at idle won't hurt anything but if it spikes to max when you wind it up,you might have to look at it.Super high oil pressure robs power and can hurt parts.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the gage port is simply the only place i can get to , to try reduction..
this has nothing to do with fooling the gage !!! im not cvrazy !!
i simply am concerned about higher pressure than i have ever seen in a 460 and i have concerns about leaking seals.
and, it aint costing much to find out if this is feasable.

u said.
"if it spikes to max when you wind it up,you might have to look at it "
i can wind it up now sitting in my barn...! it dont spike

could not find an ez fit 1/4 in valve. got a 1/4 line i may test by just dumping for a few seconds, or pinch it.
just trying to learn something and pass it on...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jfwiw,,,not much...cold start was under 75
ran for appx 20 seconds, open line, no valve, dump in to jug..
appx 2 inches in jug and cold start was under 75.
i guess it will drop when hot.
will get bypass connected 2morrow so i can run it hot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts