460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to buy a oil pump primer tool and while shopping around online I noticed that the majority of BBC and only a few BBF tools had collars on the shaft. I guess this is to provide a better seal so more pressure can build thus getting oil into the valvetrain? I tried looking into why more BBC tools had the collar whereas the majority of 429/460 tools were just a straight shaft. The only thing that I came up with was something I read on a BBC forum that said….

“Is the tool you purchased just a small shaft that spins the pump ? If so you will never get oil to the rockers. You need a tool that has a collar to simulate the bottom of the distributor housing. The distributor housing actually seals up one of the lifter galleys.”

And

“You really should get the correct tool. Without it you will never get full oil pressure to the bearings etc. If you look down in the hole where the distributor goes while you are running the tool you have, you will see a massive gusher of oil ..... that is where all of the oil is going, right back into the pan instead of to the bearings etc”

I guess what I’m trying to ask in a very long winded way is….Should I get a tool with a collar? Is it necessary on a 429/460 or do the big fords not have the priming problem getting oil to the rockers/pushrods that the BBCs apparently do?
Can anyone reccomend a good brand/type?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m looking to buy a oil pump primer tool and while shopping around online I noticed that the majority of BBC and only a few BBF tools had collars on the shaft. I guess this is to provide a better seal so more pressure can build thus getting oil into the valvetrain? I tried looking into why more BBC tools had the collar whereas the majority of 429/460 tools were just a straight shaft. The only thing that I came up with was something I read on a BBC forum that said….

“Is the tool you purchased just a small shaft that spins the pump ? If so you will never get oil to the rockers. You need a tool that has a collar to simulate the bottom of the distributor housing. The distributor housing actually seals up one of the lifter galleys.”

And

“You really should get the correct tool. Without it you will never get full oil pressure to the bearings etc. If you look down in the hole where the distributor goes while you are running the tool you have, you will see a massive gusher of oil ..... that is where all of the oil is going, right back into the pan instead of to the bearings etc”

I guess what I’m trying to ask in a very long winded way is….Should I get a tool with a collar? Is it necessary on a 429/460 or do the big fords not have the priming problem getting oil to the rockers/pushrods that the BBCs apparently do?
Can anyone reccomend a good brand/type?
I say no. I've spun a few engines up. I use a home-made engine test stand and always plumb in a pressure gauge. Never have a collar on my tools - which I normally make by welding a rod to a disty shaft. I get plenty of pressure and the oil comes out the rockers.

·
Registered
941 Posts
No collar needed. The bbf distributor shaft has nothing to do with any oil/lifter galley. All you need:
1/4 drive 5/16" deep well socket
1/4 drive extension about 8" or longer
use a small piece of duct tape to make sure the socket doesn't fall off the extension
use a HD 1/2" drive drill set to reverse so it spins the shaft counter clockwise
The chuck on the drill will open just wide enough to go over the end of the 1/4 drive extension.
alternative to HD drill: use a 1/4 to 3/8" drive adapter turn it with a 3/8 speed wrench. I normally do it this way.

put the socket on the oil pump drive and spin it until you see oil pressure and oil coming out of some of the rockers. Turn the engine by hand 90° and spin some more. Repeat. By the time you have turned the engine 1 full revolution you should have oil at all the rockers.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Man you guy's make things so much harder than they have too be:confused:
Just gut a stock dizzy (351/400 mod.429/460) and put the shaft in a 1/2 drill and spin it in reverse until you see oil too the top end and your done.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Chevrolets use the collar to keep the stupid "blade" in the oil pump while you're priming, if not, it would jump all over the place.

·
Registered
584 Posts
i couldnt find my dizzy shaft one time and needed it NOW,late and no place to get one so i got an allen head bolt and welded a piece of round stock to it.worked good,a little off center but it works.:D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The Chevrolet has to have the collar because the collar bridges the oil passage from the rear. Otherwise it dumps one side of the galley out and no pressure will indeed buildup.

Bret

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
No collar needed. The bbf distributor shaft has nothing to do with any oil/lifter galley. All you need:
1/4 drive 5/16" deep well socket
1/4 drive extension about 8" or longer
use a small piece of duct tape to make sure the socket doesn't fall off the extension
use a HD 1/2" drive drill set to reverse so it spins the shaft counter clockwise
The chuck on the drill will open just wide enough to go over the end of the 1/4 drive extension.
alternative to HD drill: use a 1/4 to 3/8" drive adapter turn it with a 3/8 speed wrench. I normally do it this way.
You mean I'm not the only person who does it this way? ;)

G-

·
Registered
412 Posts
oil primer

e-tek you got me on that engine run stand i thought discussion was about 460 stuff i looked at the motor saw the dist.ok then what the :eek:how the hell is the mtr fliped around to the bell housing DUH{i think i need some better drugs] jokes on me//////

·
Registered
211 Posts
e-tek you got me on that engine run stand i thought discussion was about 460 stuff i looked at the motor saw the dist.ok then what the :eek:how the hell is the mtr fliped around to the bell housing DUH{i think i need some better drugs] jokes on me//////
looks like a mopar to me LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts