460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mad Porter brought up in another post the subject of cam and lift wear due to the levels of ZDDP. Finding out which oil has how much was not as easy as I thought it would be but thought I would share a link to some 2015 testing I found. Not sure how much these oil formulas have changed since then but..........

What oil brands offer the best protection ***Good read***

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
brad penn, is a great oil

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The new driven oil seem's the way to go, but you will get a million response's on which is best..............find one that you like and stick with it.

Cheers, Bob

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
We use Driven exclusively for break in on the dyno and recommend it for continued use as well.

Easily sourced valvoline VR is an option.

I've used Brad Penn with good results as well as amsoil.

I can speak from experience / feedback from clients that adding additional ZDDP to an already suitable oil WILL cause problems...

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
We use Driven exclusively for break in on the dyno and recommend it for continued use as well.

Easily sourced valvoline VR is an option.

I've used Brad Penn with good results as well as amsoil.

I can speak from experience / feedback from clients that adding additional ZDDP to an already suitable oil WILL cause problems...

SJ
used 2b RHP

MP you ever used LIQUI MOLY oil?

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 400 in my 79 Bronco. I'm going to use a Lunati VooDoo flat tappet cam. After reading this post and the link provided in the original post regarding ranking motor oils, I need some clarification on breaking in the cam. Per the advice of you guys and the test results, I'm going to use the Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil. Initially was going to add some Lucas break-in oil additive to the oil, but after reading MP's comments I'm not sure if I still need to or not. Can someone clarify if I need to use a break-in oil additive with the Valvoline VR1 oil, or not? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 400 in my 79 Bronco. I'm going to use a Lunati VooDoo flat tappet cam. After reading this post and the link provided in the original post regarding ranking motor oils, I need some clarification on breaking in the cam. Per the advice of you guys and the test results, I'm going to use the Valvoline ZR1 Racing Oil. Initially was going to add some Lucas break-in oil additive to the oil, but after reading MP's comments I'm not sure if I still need to or not. Can someone clarify if I need to use a break-in oil additive with the Valvoline ZR1 oil, or not? Thanks guys.

Use break in oil to break in the cam

Valvoline VR is fine thereafter.

Add NOTHING to either.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts

Driven
Brad Penn

What you have linked appears to be appropriate.

We use gibbs assembly grease on the lobes and lifter crowns. Not a fan of the red glop that comes with cams.

We also have our lifters notched to allow top down oiling instead of depending on splash only...

SJ

·
Registered
217 Posts
Driven
Brad Penn

What you have linked appears to be appropriate.

We use gibbs assembly grease on the lobes and lifter crowns. Not a fan of the red glop that comes with cams.

We also have our lifters notched to allow top down oiling instead of depending on splash only...

SJ

Which weight of break-in oil is preferred; 30w or 10w-30 or??? What do you use?

On another note, the VooDoo cam & lifter kit I have (p/n LUN-10320700LK) recommend springs (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-73815-16/overview/) that have 337 lbs/in open pressure (overview details claims it has 342 lbs/in). Is this too much spring pressure to break in a new cam? If so, do I have to use a set of break-in springs (if they make such a thing) or is it possible to remove the inner spring from these springs I have? Or is it ok to use these springs with the higher spring pressure? I don't want to wipe out the lobes with too high spring pressures for break-in. Maybe I can use the stock/factory valve springs for the break-in then swap the springs to the heavier springs? Would that work? What do you suggest?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was kind of surprised to read about the effects zinc additives have on regulars oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts