460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a bit of help here I inherited this rifle from my Dad all his wife knows about it was my grandfather got it sometime during WW2 I know it military set up for a sling and has provision for a bayonet. only marking I can find is a number on the breech. It is bolt action clip fed. Would like th know manafacturer and caliber if possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info it gave me a starting place and yes it is a Jap Ariska Model 99. Found several articles online about it seems there are many Thousands brought here after the war. Some interesting histoy about it I now know what I need to know and can tell the rest of my siblings about it.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
And you CAN buy ammo for it.....after you have a competent gunsmith check it for being usable. Enjoy.....I used to have one and they are really flat shooters. Good caliber for medium sized, non-dangerous game.
Rob

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I wouldn't shoot it. The lack of markings suggest it was made toward the end of the war, in a rush with poor materials and unskilled labor.

Several online articles about it explained the lack of markings was because the mark indicated it was owned by the Emporer and was filed off to stop the embaressment to him of having sommething with his symbol in the hands of the enemy. Article also went on to say that after the atom bombs were dropped the remaining armory rifles and ammo were thrown into the deepest part of Toyko Bay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A couple of things to help you date the rifle;

"late" rifles( 43-45) had mostly straight wooden buttplates, and the end of the bolt, which is the safety, is just a big blob of weld. Also little to no bluing, just a thick coat of lacquer, on the metal. Also, on the earlier models, the end of the bolt handle, is tapered. The late models, no taper.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In case you don't know, the safety is the end of the bolt. Using the heel of your hand, push forward on the end of the bolt, and rotate, I believe clockwise. Sounds like yours was made in 44 or 45. Does it have a hole, under the barrel, in the forearm? The hole was for a cleaning rod. Another item Japan dropped at the end of the war.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda figured out the safety thing by accident and there is not a hole for a cleaning rod. First chance I get I will take it to a professional gunsmith and get it checked out and see if its safe to shoot if not its still a piece of history. My Grandfather was a ship Captian during WW2 and he took the rifle off a jap carrier they captured and were getting ready to use for target practice

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very cool history, on that rifle! Most of the Arisakas, that were formally surrendered, had the chrysanthumum ground off the receiver. If you run across one with the mum, chances are it was picked up off the battlefield by a ground pounder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts