460 Ford Forum banner

old school ford 462. junk?

39K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  v8440 
#1 ·
A friend of mine who isn't a ford guy wants to sell me a running 1967 or 68 ford 462 out of a lincoln. Is it worth the 150$ he's askin? Do they have interchangeable parts with the 460?
HTML:

#4 ·
Years ago I had a 57 Merc 2 door hardtop wagon that had a Lincoln 368 at the time there was nothing out there to hop it up but some of the old Yblock stuff could be modified to fit its one saving grace was there was a factory 2x4 setup for it used the old Holley coffeepot carbs and Mallory made a dual point setup for the Yblock if you changed to bottom gear on the distributor it would work fine. The car looked nice and I ran it NHRA pure stock. I guess it didnt do bad for what it was but the darn thing weighed in at 4400 lbs If Memory serves it ran low 16s in the quarter

#8 ·
I would give a vote to go ahead and buy it. for $150, if the engines not bad.

they don't make parts for that engine.. That works both ways. There are guys that run those oddball rare, limited engines and if can find those customers. you'll make money.
Also consider international. I do a good business, selling parts to australia/NZ &europe.
Alot of well to do, dedicated car guys that loooove american cars.

Also I have good memories of the old 430/462, back in high school one of my friends had 70/71 F350 with a MEL engine and
I remember that thing was a massive torque monster. we would haul a camper and a boat on the back up a mountain grade to go fishing. That thing wouldn't even slow down a bit.
They don't rev high and yes no perf parts to speak of,
but think of the challenge.
it's already got a 4 bbl. reground cam, port heads good. I but you could find some bigger valves that can fit. pistons...
I think there's potential there...

trans will be a C6, although with a unique bolt pattern, look at it closely, it's actually really close to a 460 housing.
D

#10 ·
Yeah it's always fun to do something different. And there are some things that you can get custom made if necessary, like pistons. So it's not the end of the world. Of course you would probably get a lot of people thinking you had a bored 460 after you tell them you have a 462 :rolleyes:

#11 ·
The engines are popular with the Lincoln restoration crowd. Parts are available if you know where to look. For the $150. asking price it is a good deal, buy it and sell it to someone who is doing a Lincoln or 59-60 T-bird. Edsels and Birds had 383 410 430s in them from the factory. Was also use as marine engines as well.

#13 ·
I have a '68 lincoln Continental with a 462 the thing had grunt , use to pull my open car trailer with it , it would climb 6% grades on cruise and not even kick down!! and it would idle at 500rpm and you could stand a dime on edge on the air cleaner and it wouldn't fall over!!!
Frank

#17 ·
Mel Engine

I have used the Mel 430's before, in fact the rare 1958 430 "Super Marauder" with factory 3x2 manifold & 400 hp. There is a web site for these engines just like this site. They are still performance parts out there, my brother has a whole garage full of them including Hilborn injection system, Isky roller cams and there are even adapters to use 429-460 intake manifolds on this engine, he is currently using a Weiand Tunnel ram on one. Egge still makes all the stock rebuild parts for these engines, and Ross makes forged pistons by special order. If you bolt early 1958-1960 heads with no combustion chambers on a stock 462 you will be over 11.5 to one, race gas by todays standards, if you do this you must use the early intake as well , the angles are different. The heads have huge 3" tall intake ports just like the 427 highriser. Lots of intakes are still out there, Edelbrock made both 6x2 & 3x2 . The finned aluminum "Super Marauder" valve covers are back in production, my brother just bought a set. These engines use the same oil pumps, lifters, & rocker arms as the "FE" series engines. Mallory still makes distributors for these too under special order. These are a big heavy engine, and very wide, but if your looking for something different especially where the engine is going to be the show piece of the car, then this might be for you. For all out performance, lighter weight & much more parts availability stick with the 385 series family.

#19 ·
I have used the Mel 430's before, in fact the rare 1958 430 "Super Marauder" with factory 3x2 manifold & 400 hp. There is a web site for these engines just like this site. They are still performance parts out there, my brother has a whole garage full of them including Hilborn injection system, Isky roller cams and there are even adapters to use 429-460 intake manifolds on this engine, he is currently using a Weiand Tunnel ram on one. Egge still makes all the stock rebuild parts for these engines, and Ross makes forged pistons by special order. If you bolt early 1958-1960 heads with no combustion chambers on a stock 462 you will be over 11.5 to one, race gas by todays standards, if you do this you must use the early intake as well , the angles are different. The heads have huge 3" tall intake ports just like the 427 highriser. Lots of intakes are still out there, Edelbrock made both 6x2 & 3x2 . The finned aluminum "Super Marauder" valve covers are back in production, my brother just bought a set. These engines use the same oil pumps, lifters, & rocker arms as the "FE" series engines. Mallory still makes distributors for these too under special order. These are a big heavy engine, and very wide, but if your looking for something different especially where the engine is going to be the show piece of the car, then this might be for you. For all out performance, lighter weight & much more parts availability stick with the 385 series family.
The video I posted earlier in this thread IS one of those turnpike cruisers you are talking about(430 3-2v). Seems like an awesome engine!! In fact, it was the first production gas engine in a car to be rated at 400 bhp, ahead of the Chrysler 392 hemi of the time. Don't the Lincoln 462's have flat heads too, or chambers in both the block and heads?

#20 ·
There is a guy that does the MEL motors up to 545 ci!!!!!!!! The motor seized up in my 1967 Lincoln. I was about to give up & go custom with a 557 (460). I was looking for hop up parts & found a guy that specializes in the MEL motor. He can build your motor or sell parts. I bought a complete kit (Including Double Roller Timing set) from him because there is a guy at a Lincoln-Mercury dealer here in Denver that has a crew for just the 1950's & 60's Lincolns. I found heads & water pump from Edelbrock (very rare leftover parts he had stored) I found the tri power set up on E bay with original carbs & fuel pump!!!! A guy from New Mexico specialized in carbs & distributers to make them run better than new. Lincoln had a set up where the carb(s) took only what they needed & sent fuel back to the tank. We put new springs in as losing weight raised the car. Point though, parts are out there and these motors will run with a built 557 (460). My Lincoln has overdrive & 2.78 gears for 140 mph & 27 speed limit mpg on the road. It is also dressed with original parts for factory look

#21 ·
462 MEL. My brother and I have been building MEL series engines for a very long time, there are speed parts out there, you just have to look for them at swap meets and Ebay, we have Isky roller and flat tappet cams for them, Mallory distributors, you can find Weiand supercharger manifolds, factory Super Marauder 3 deuce intakes, Edelbrock 3 deuce intakes, Edelbrock 6 deuce intakes, Weiand Drag Star 8 deuce intakes (Which are now being reproduced by Slover) Slover also makes a set of intake manifold adapters that allow you to use any 429-460 intake manifold on a MEL, we have a set they are very nice. Weisco and Arias & Ross all offer forged pistons for the MEL's, special order of course, and Egge offers cast pistons off the shelf. The MEL series uses the same oil pumps as the FE series so hi pressure or high vol are off the shelf. Isky still has iron adjustable rocker arms for the MEL's. Lifters are same as FE. The hot ticket with 462's is to use the early 1958-1960 383,410,430 big port no chamber heads for a compression ratio of 11/1 and the huge 3inch tall intake ports. 460 cranks are a drop in with minor machinging, or offset grinding the 462 crank to a BBC rod journal gets you 517 cid cheap. Off the shelf H-beam 460 rods with the 2.5 rod fit MEL cranks if you only slightly turn them down from factory 2.6 to 2.5., the lengths are close at 6.60 (MEL) to 6.605 (460) The best blocks are early 430 1958 to 1960 as they have the FE bellhousing pattern for 4 speed, or C-6 or cruiseomatic. 462 block is Lincoln only special C-6 case, however a steel lakewood or quicktime bell can be welded to use a 4 speed. Hope this info helps, at $150 that engine is a good price. Oh and Moon and others have nice valve covers available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.