460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to use either of these shops very much. If I can I avoid using either, but sometimes I just can't find a part reasonably priced someplace else. Is there another online super speed shop?

In particular right now I am needing a new seatbelt and another cheap high back seat. I have not had luck finding any besides summit or jegs.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I usually google whatever part I'm looking for, find the cheapest price, then call Summit with the link and they'll price match and sometimes throw in free stuff just to get you to order from them. Also, I have found that on Summit's closeout stuff, you can make them an offer below what they have it listed for and sometimes they take it...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've used a few others, occasionly the price was lower.

http://www.re-racing.com/

Ps. Believe it or not, sometimes price is not the 1st or most important issue. When it comes to less popular parts, availablity can mean a lot of different thing; can you tell - I've played the "yes, we have that item in stock, on the shelf - will ship it today"...way too many times.

When it comes to main stream parts, commodity items or stocking up for that next build when you are still collecting parts, going with Summit or Jeg's is a no brainer. But, when looking for something a little out of the ordinary or something not on the "top ten" list, you need to have a few sources that don't mind taking a chance on new or different part. Summit and Jeg's are based on Volume....sometimes you need to shop at the "boutique" stores...unless you are building another generic (recipe) car or motor.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Actually you would be surprised to find out that a lot of local shops have good prices as well. My local shop had a better price than summit on the last intake I bought.

·
Registered
928 Posts
fordsbyjay said:
Actually you would be surprised to find out that a lot of local shops have good prices as well. My local shop had a better price than summit on the last intake I bought.
This is true but I always get online and check summit's or jegs price first on something. Didn't do that a while back and got really hammered (my fault didn't actually ask how much something was going to be before they ordered it and had it drop shipped to me) cost me almost $100 more then summit would have (which is really bad considering that through summit it would have only cost me $120)

But on other stuff they have been within a couple bucks plus or minus.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Beoweolf -
I totally agree...!
There is a lot to be said for personal service especially if you are not ENTIRELY sure of what you actually need but, you know it's one of a few choices.
If all you wish to deal with is a "fast food, head set, phone jockey" then the big parts houses are difficult to beat.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fordsbyjay said:
I agree my old speedshop of choice was fantastic, and he could even get you machine work at a discount. I also agree with you Beowulf.

Check you pm Joe.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
If its not something I can get from a Forum vendor, I like Summit for quick fast mail order. A couple years ago they screwed up and sent the wrong part. I called them and complained letting them know I was aggrivated. T hey paid return shipping, to them and me and when I got the right part the next day it had a $25 gift cert.in the box :shock: 8) .Rick

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have a pretty good supply base and can usually be very competitive on virtually anything at this point.

Problem is the time needed to configure and load all the data to the web site. Big companies have legions of guys to handle that. Little companies - like me - have one guy - the same guy that's answering phones, turning wrenches, writing tech responses, doing quotes, taking pictures, paying bills, packing boxes.....

I'll get "there" eventually....

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
sorry but I use the vendors on here I haven't talked to summit or Jegs in years, the vendors on here can get you any thing the others can with service 2nd to none. and they know if it will fit or not...

Randy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts