460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Recently read about 4 speed overdrive manual transmissions from 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups being able to live behind a healthy big block.Does anyone know of a part# or way to distinguish from granny gear units ? Also wondering about bell housings for this application.Any input would be most appreciated,saving for a tko600 will mean next spring before I can drive my truck.

·
Registered
724 Posts
overdrive toploader

I can tell you everything you need to know, I have 1 in my blown 460 (473) truck, and 2 backups in my shop. They were made from 1973 to 1987. They came in Ford trucks and vans behind 351w's and 300 6's. They are the same length as the traditional Mustang toploader . The early toploaders have 2 bolt patterns drilled into the bellhousing face, the overdrives use just the more popular outer pattern, which fit all the popular bellhousings. The overdrive units use the standard Ford clutch, 10.5 or 11, or even 12. They can be spotted easily by 2 features, on the passenger side of the main case is a very slight buldge about a inch and a half wide towards the front of the case. This was done to make room in the case for the high gear. They also have a lug cast on the tail shaft to allow for a driveshaft vibration dampener to be used, thr same on used on c-4 and c-6 autos of those years. There are lots of parts available for the trans, and a few tricks you can do to use a variety of shifters on them. I have used both the traditional toploader 1 to 1 and the overdrive, and they are both very durable. I have found the overdrive to be great in performance applications, especially when you have the torque of a big block. I have pushed mine hard, yet have not had to use any of my backups yet. The best news is they are plentyful, and can still be found in most wrecking yards, if you hunt even the self service yards are a good source, we have found no less than 10 there in the last 5 years, and paid anywhere from $85 to $200 each. They are a durable bargain, that seems to have slipped through the cracks in everyones rush to buy 5 speeds. Its hard to beat the strength of the iron case toploader trans. ITheres more to know, if you want more info fell free to call me 916-459-5520 Greg blown 473

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
its called a SROD TOP LOADER, 4TH GEAR OVERDRIVE, VERY GOOD TRANS, RATIO IS A LITTLE WIDE FROM 2ND TO 3RD, BUT ITS A OVERDRIVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 77 merc grand marquis just a stock under powered 460. looking for an overdrive tranny to replace the c6. was thinking about e4od but too expensive. so it's either this four speed over drive or a zf five speed.

so to make the srod work i would need: 429 four speed bellhousing, 429 flywheel, all the clutch engaging parts? any and all information/advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should realize the 3+OD transmission uses the same gear train as the 303 Ford 3 speed. It does not use the stronger Toploader gear train. If you want the full story go to David Kees toploaders at http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/.
Part of his website is dedicated to toploader imposters.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The SROD is the aluminum case version and as such isn't as strong as the cast iron case OD.
The cast iron case ODs are a strong transmission and stand up well. First and second gears are the same as the regular toploader and that's what counts. Where the regular one has third gear that's overdrive so the gear has to be way smaller to get the ratio right. I can't imagine this being a problem though since nobody will be power shifting into OD. Third is direct so no problem there either.
I used one of the cast iron OD units behind a hi-po 351 Windsor that was in a Fox bodied Mustang. It took a beating for years and never gave a minute's trouble. I've got the same tranny on the 460 in my 49 Merc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
awesome. thank you for clarifying this for me. so does this cast iron version go by a different name? it's the one that has the RUG stamping correct? need to go junk yard hunting...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Visit the link I provided - it will tell you the correct information. The cast iron OD "toploader" is not as strong as the real Toploader at all. It uses the 303 3 spd transmission gear train, not the Toploader gear set.
paul

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't post on here a lot but I was asking about the 4 speed OD trans for my 67 Mustang on another site and "TommyK" said "Blown 473" had some experience with using 'em.
I have a 67 I have had over 20 years. It's a mild 1970 429, C6 and a 9" with either 3.70's or 2.50's depending on what I am doing with the car. I drive it on the Hot Rod Power Tour and have achieved an average of 16 mpg with the 2.50's but it's just not as much fun to drive as it is with the 3.70's. Plus I like to shift so I was thinking it would be a cost effective option since the toploader was factory installed in Mustangs and behind 429's. The 385 series BBF/manual trans combo is not that common in a 67 and a TKO won't easily fit in the Mustang. Plus they are expensive!!!
However, since the car is driven on 3000+ mile road trips I need it to be reliable.
A couple have posted actual experience of them holding up and one on here says they are not as strong as a TL. What should be my concerns and what year/model is my best bet?
Thanks for any advice!

B

·
0 Posts
4spd overdrive

Hello John, this is an old post hope your still active, The othher day was first I heard of 4spd overdrive your # not active, please call me have question's Thanx Blair [714] 329-8695 SoCal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts