460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove my Fairlane to a car show and it worked fine ran real cool. When I went to go home engine started to over heat. By time I got home engine was about 250 degree's. I think I forgot to turn on my water pump and fan switch.:( It got hot enough that than it was howling and oil pressure was down a bit, but still over 60 lbs. Well I went out to see if it would still run after it cooled down. Cranked over fine and started. No strange noises and oil pressure was back to normal 80 lbs. Opinions please do you think I hurt it? No smoke or anything like that just got hot. I'll take it out tomorrow and see if it seems OK

·
Registered
190 Posts
Only time will tell. If you had enough piston to wall clearance you're probably ok. I have a 170 degree temp. switch in my manifold as well as a toggle sw. to my fan to avoid this mishap, it's pretty easy to forget. My water pump comes on with the ignition. Hope everything is OK, Randy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Filled it up

with water today and went for a drive. Guess it didn't hurt anything as it didn't overheat and still scares me on the open road. Drove about 15 miles and stayed about 185 degree's. Loaded it in the trailer and I guess its ready for the next race. I'm relieved.:) Hammered it about 3 times well over a 100. I live in a rural area with lots of open roads.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
with water today and went for a drive. Guess it didn't hurt anything as it didn't overheat and still scares me on the open road. Drove about 15 miles and stayed about 185 degree's. Loaded it in the trailer and I guess its ready for the next race. I'm relieved.:) Hammered it about 3 times well over a 100. I live in a rural area with lots of open roads.:)
SOUNDS LIKE FUN!

Mine goes to 250 regularily!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My radiator is an

Mine goes to 210 :( I want to get it cooler.
old one but it is an aluminum one and it helped when I went to a Meziere water pump. Sometimes it even takes a while to warm up in moderate weather of course. But ya gotta remember to turn it on. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
old one but it is an aluminum one and it helped when I went to a Meziere water pump. Sometimes it even takes a while to warm up in moderate weather of course. But ya gotta remember to turn it on. :)
i have an aluminum radiator and a meziere water pump that runs off my ignition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts