460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
That's our government for ya... What a bunch of bull... Seems they were just looking for "something" so they just tried a different type of ammo until they could make the gun malfunction... I had the same thing happen to me while I was in basic training, we were on the firing line during qualification with the M-16 and my rifle just started firing multiple shots while in semi-auto mode... The one drill sergeant at the range wanted me arrested because he thought I'd tampered with the sear engagement on the rifle... :shock: :shock: :shock: After several armorers had checked it out, they all agreed that the sear was just worn out...

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I may be dating myself(HA), but when I was in basic training we found that you could wedge a piece of a patch in the sear of an M-1, and "unload" all 8 at once. Also, at the National Matches, Camp Perry in 1988, I had my 45 wad gun "double" on me during the second string of the 50 yard slow fire match. Did that make it a machine pistol???

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chuck Stevens said:
I may be dating myself(HA), but when I was in basic training we found that you could wedge a piece of a patch in the sear of an M-1, and "unload" all 8 at once. Also, at the National Matches, Camp Perry in 1988, I had my 45 wad gun "double" on me during the second string of the 50 yard slow fire match. Did that make it a machine pistol???

Did you really mean all 8 at once(!!!! :shock: !!!!), or just 8 in a row, really fast??!!!
Sorry, just being the jerk that I really am.......
What did the double on your .45 do for your score?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
there is more to this story than meets the eye. it was not just a malfunction. there was a unmarked position on the frame for the selector switch to move to. fwiw.....bobn

·
Registered
194 Posts
zephyrbob said:
there is more to this story than meets the eye. it was not just a malfunction. there was a unmarked position on the frame for the selector switch to move to. fwiw.....bobn
BUT, if there were no M-16 parts in the gun, which there could not have been because BATFE would not have failed to notice them, then whether or not he had monkeyed with the selector switch, there would be no auto sear for the selector switch to activate. It "sounds" like this was a malfunctioning gun. Of course, I have no firsthand knowlege of the case. But AR's have floating firing pins, and they are surely NOT supposed to be used with ammo that has "soft' primers, as any handloader who owns a M-1, M14, SKS, or AR knows. I bet BATFE knows that, too......
My 2 cents, your opinion may vary.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yep, which is why the manual that comes with those guns says to NOT use reloaded ammo. It's to keep people from using soft primers or not fully seated primers and thereby causing a potential slam fire. Personally, I see no problem with citizens having full auto guns. Just like I think some felons (tax evasion and the like) should be allowed to have guns too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chuck Stevens said:
When a semi-auto pistol "doubles" it means just that...DOUBLE...2 rounds. :roll:
Chuck, who were you replying to with this comment?
If it was me, the "8 round" remark referred to your M-1, the double remark was in reference to the 1911 pistol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chuck Stevens said:
The old "patch in the sear trick" will usually get off 4 or 5 rounds, sometimes...all 8, from a M-1 Garand.
Since I am the proud owner of 3 M-1's, I am very torn between wanting you to explain just exactly how to do the "patch in the sear" trick, and knowing that it would probably be a bad idea if I did know how to do it.... :lol: :lol:
I would be willing to bet that during that 4,5, or 8 rounds there would be a pretty fair amount of muzzle rise, and possibly some "out of season" ducks or light aircraft being brought down...... :lol:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
people who screw around with firearms do the same damage to legitmate firearm buffs that ricers with out of control nitrous systems do to real racers. if you want a full auto and have the money do it right. if you dont, enlist in the military. i did 37 years ago. sorry for the rant but its about protecting our hobby interests.
,,,,the guy going to prison did not have a ammo problem or a simple malfunction. he deliberately has made a bunch of these "malfuntioning" guns in the past, had a bunch of non semi parts etc. like i said previously there is much more to the story....
....have i become a old fart with this rant. i hope so....respecfully, bobn

·
Registered
560 Posts
That makes a bit more sense, I wouldn't go to jail for a simple malfunction.
I had a .45 that let one rip when I chambered a round, fortunately I had it pointed in a safe direction, but it still had me counting my fingers!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
zephyrbob said:
people who screw around with firearms do the same damage to legitmate firearm buffs that ricers with out of control nitrous systems do to real racers. if you want a full auto and have the money do it right. if you dont, enlist in the military. i did 37 years ago. sorry for the rant but its about protecting our hobby interests.
,,,,the guy going to prison did not have a ammo problem or a simple malfunction. he deliberately has made a bunch of these "malfuntioning" guns in the past, had a bunch of non semi parts etc. like i said previously there is much more to the story....
....have i become a old fart with this rant. i hope so....respecfully, bobn
I'm not doubting your information, but I have searched and all I can find is stories about how this guy is getting screwed badly. How or where did you get your 'more to the story'? I always want to know the whole story.

thanks

stephen

1 - 20 of 22 Posts