460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new motor running today. We don't have the fuel curve dialed in yet (it's rich) and with the motor all sealed up, it pulls too much vacuum (picking up a vacuum regulator tomorrow) so we left the dipstick tube open. With 32 degrees advance, it has so far made 770 lb ft @ 4800 and 825 hp @ 6100. I'm very happy now and with a few more horses waiting to be let out on Monday, my newly repaired Torino is headed for the eights.
The build:
D1VE block with 4 bolt mains, lifter bores bushed, zero deck 14:1 comp,
Forged crank, diamond flat tops, Scat H beams by Ad Performance,
P-51 heads pocket ported by Charlie,
Comp Cams solid roller .759 277 @ .050 in, .764 288 @ .050 ex, specced by Lem,
High Flow dynamics stage 1 oil pump and block mods,
Offenhauser tunnel ram base, ported with a home made spacer/adapter
Enderle Bird Catcher, Magnafuel Pro Outlaw pump.
Steffs vacuum pump.
Moroso 20614 pan.

For the Aussies, machining, assembly and dyno work by Trick and Mansweto Racing.

I will update with a full dyno sheet Monday night.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Congrats, that is great power & sounds like there may
be more left in it. 8)
Would be great to see some pics of the car.
Have seen some great engines built by Trick and Mansweto,
what were they like to deal with?
Well done.

George

·
8,522 Posts
richter69 said:
He's running mech injection with a hat.

What lobe sep?

that cam looks familiar lol.

nice numbers........... 8)
Jon...that thing is ground on 112* . The tq is 8) ...just do not know why the engine is peaking at 6100 rpm .

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lem, thanks for the lobe sep #. The fuel is still quite fat at 6100 and there is a dip at 6200 then picks back up a little at 6300. We haven't gone higher on the dyno yet and haven't set the high speed check valve yet either. We know there is more there. :D

·
8,522 Posts
StephenW said:
Lem, thanks for the lobe sep #. The fuel is still quite fat at 6100 and there is a dip at 6200 then picks back up a little at 6300. We haven't gone higher on the dyno yet and haven't set the high speed check valve yet either. We know there is more there. :D
That's the way the carb/gas stuff does most of the time when the engine is rich...more power at a little higher rpm when the excess fuel is gone :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
richter69 said:
you guys using any leanouts?

The hp may still be in the tuneup, that hat stuff is tough to get right.
We will be running a high speed bypass when the main bypass is right.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We completed our dyno tuning today. The result? 851 HP @ 6600 and 765 lb ft @ 5000.

The first thing done was to reduce valve lash by .010. This bore immediate results and the motor liked the fuel it was being fed. So much so that we decided that with our power goals met, the tune was safe and so a high speed bypass was not needed (sorry Chris, no help to you). We then adjusted the vacuum regulator to pull a very modest 6 inches of vacuum as any more was affecting oil pressure.
The concensus was that the P-51 heads are a very good efficient head and the motor made very good power. However the Offy tunnel ram was a definite restriction and the 2 1/8 pipes were perhaps one size too small. But the budget is busted so I have what I have.
All in all a very good result and thanks to Charlie and Lem Evans, Brian Adams, Paul Kane and Randy Malik.
8 second ETs, here I come.
P.S. Sorry for the lack of pics and video. I'll try to make up for it with a report from the track.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Stephen,

It looks like you gained 26 Hp and raised it 500 rpm to 6600. Good job :wink: You can go racing with it now at 851 Hp and have some serious fun. I'll still say there's some more horsepower left in it, and I suspect at a higher rpm, maybe closer to 7000 rpm.

A few years ago, people struggled to make 850 Hp and now your doing it with 545 CID BB Ford, and a set of pocket ported P-51 heads. We're proud of ya' :D

Take care,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts