460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the p-51's and have a couple questions, will they work with stock style piston? Do they use a special valve or will valves like the ford racing a429 intake valve and ferrea 6000 series exhaust valve work?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I've been looking at the p-51's and have a couple questions, will they work with stock style piston? Do they use a special valve or will valves like the ford racing a429 intake valve and ferrea 6000 series exhaust valve work?
The valves have been re-located (same as the SCJ alum heads), so a piston with a different valve relief will be required. They also have valves that are .100 longer to allow for higher lift camshaft profiles to be used. If you're considering building the heads from bare castings, the std length valves used in SCJ heads will physically work but you won't be able to take advantage of the intake port's full potential.

If you don't plan to use the P-51's in an application that requires a higher lift camshaft or a larger port volume, SCJ's may be a better choice. The exhaust ports on both heads are identical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I will be running a 501cid with solid roller camshaft with approximately .760 lift. The pistons I have are flat top with a single valve relief bme is the manufacture

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
What r the camshaft limits of the p51 vs scj? How much of a difference?
I've run as much as .738 on SCJ-B's with some minor modifications. The P-51's give you an extra .100 of installed height to work with, so it's easier to find a spring that will accommodate additional lift and to take advantage of the P51's superior high lift flow.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
?
I've run as much as .738 on SCJ-B's with some minor modifications. The P-51's give you an extra .100 of installed height to work with, so it's easier to find a spring that will accommodate additional lift and to take advantage of the P51's superior high lift flow.

??

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
superior high lift flow.;QUOTE

TOO?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Now then you've gone to the trouble of typing one three letter word and we still don't know what you mean. What do you mean by "too"?

This isn't text messaging on here. We can type complete sentences and that certainly helps us communicate.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
superior high lift flow.;QUOTE

COMPARED TO WHAT?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Might as well ask what are we calling high lift here also?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like reading threads on this forum. They are very informative, but here lately it has gotten ridiculous. Every thread just becomes a new pissing match for Rich Boss 429. We are grown men, not school girls. I think sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I like reading threads on this forum. They are very informative, but here lately it has gotten ridiculous. Every thread just becomes a new pissing match for Rich Boss 429. We are grown men, not school girls. I think sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks

REALLY?

All I did was ask a question? superior high lift flow.;QUOTE

COMPARED TO WHAT?

PEOPLE SAY THIS OR THAT HEAD , WHERES THE PROFF THAT THIS P51 THING IS REALLY
ANY BETTER THEN ANY OTHER HEAD ??????????????

PISSING MATCH? I don't think so.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
The P51 have higher flow curve than the FRPP SCJ. It's mostly about the shape of the short turn radius.

What lift are you saying that they are superior to the scj ? Flow at said lift?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Do you mean to tell me that you have solid opinion about the SCJ and P51 flow #s but, you do not know that the one head is much better that the other above .600" lift.
Now that's not what I was asking or what I said.

And since you got in this thread I asked you YOUR OPINION on the p51 head, It was at what lift does the p51 become superior to the other head ,AND I ASKED for flow num's?

1 - 20 of 162 Posts