460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Edelbrock headed bbf. if I wanted to go to a set of p51's do I have to change pistons?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I have a Edelbrock headed bbf. if I wanted to go to a set of p51's do I have to change pistons?
Either new pistons, or add new intake valve reliefs to the current pistons, which can be done without taking apart the short block.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were you would you bypass the p51's and go straight to a A head with new pistons of course.

·
Registered
190 Posts
changing valve reliefs w/o engine disassembly

Either new pistons, or add new intake valve reliefs to the current pistons, which can be done without taking apart the short block.
So, how much material would one be removing from the top of the piston if this can be done "in block"? Are you talking about welding a cutting tool to the head of a valve and bolting the head to the block, then cutting the relief as such?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
So, how much material would one be removing from the top of the piston if this can be done "in block"? Are you talking about welding a cutting tool to the head of a valve and bolting the head to the block, then cutting the relief as such?
There's no reason to make your own, you can buy them from several sources. Fits in place of the valve and attaches to a drill. Pocket depth would depend on the cam being used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts