460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. i have a few intake questions on my 460. i have a mild 68 460 in my fox. i have very limited hood clearance and my intake has been a performer for the last 8 years. my engine has the smallest thumpr cam and stock 10.5 to 1 compression, a 600 double pumper, long tube headers with 2.5in duals, i have a recurved distrb at 36 degrees in around 2800-3k and a c6 with a 3.08 gear for street use. my question is what kind of gains (or loss) would i get switching to the torker 2? i like how its lower and also offers some potential for top end on my engine. i have tons of low end power but my top end is very flat. it still pulls but just kinda pulls steady almost like a diesel. please advise on your thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would try a larger carb first... that 600 is small for that engine. I would at least go to a 750 cfm carb tune that a see how it runs.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Your 68 460 has the original 11 cc dished pistons?

Carb is small. 750 dp is fine with the stall convertor.

A T2 would help the top side. If you are hitting a brick wall it could be valve springs.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
900 Posts
No matter what you do for an intake, as stated, you need more carb. Buy a 750 first, put it on the engine the way it is now, and see if that gets you where you want to go (assuming everything is good mechanically). If you still need more top end, then go with the intake swap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive always been told i need more carb. i tried an 850 and the bottom end was horrible. since i street drive it i like the snappiness of the small carb. according to the carb formula a 600 is plenty for under 5500 rpm. u guys really think im choking it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also i run a half inch open spacer which essentially doubles the available carb to the cylinders.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My .02 about what you've got and where you want to go. First, 3.08's make it a dog down low..... just like the spacer you added does. Adding plenum tends to move your torque range up at the expense of the bottom. You want to replace a dual plane (that might be the only thing giving your combination any bottom end) to a single plane that will (wait for it) kill MORE bottom end. Put some gear in it, go with a bigger carb, test with and without the spacer afterwards and REALLY consider ditching the Thumpr. It's killing you as well just for a big lope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i appreciate the responses guys. as far as the cam im aware the thumpr is more of a sound cam then an optimal performance cam but in all honesty how much gain would i see by switching to something more optimal? ive looked at lunati cams and a few others that have a more common profile but i do have alot of torque still and around 2500 to 3k it really pulls hard. i have steady power from off idle to about 5200 or 5400 rpm and it never stops pulling it just has flat smooth power

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also for SLOWRIDE i have my open spacer because i run the small carb i figured an open spacer addes a bit of volume but also allows all cylinders to have full access to the carb rather then dividing the carb in half so essentially makes my small carb capable of feeding all the cylinders. i also run the 3.08 gear cause its mostly street driven and doesnt have overdrive so the tall gear helps a bit.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ok, so you want more top end power, correct? That's what I read by post #1. I'm asking this again because now all the sudden we are talking about bottom end power and lower gears. If you want more top end power, you need more carb. Your carb is not choking it on the bottom end, it's choking it on the top end. A 600 double pumper is enough for a decent street 302, a mild built 460 will be happiest with a 750. Put a 750 carb on it, and if that isn't enough top end, swap intakes to a Torker II.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts