460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the few videos I have had made of my truck(not great quality taken with a digital camera). This one was a first place pull at the Fulton MO Fair on 8/3/07. '79 Ford, 475.8 ci, DOVE block, D0OE-R heads, Single Dominator and worked over Victor. Actually all of it is pretty heavilly worked over. Not too bad for nearly 40 year old iron! Oh, and that's only about 8400 (I have it geared pretty tall).

Link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAB7boUwq2U

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Very nice Bret. That thing is smooth. Congrats on your 1st place finish...

Doug... 8)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
NICE!!! 8)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thoeretically it should have lasted a season. This is my backup shortblock. I tore my main shortblock up twice with oiling issues that I have now figured out, but, I was turning it in the nines too. I hope to have it back up and running by the first of September. I did take two and four main bearings out of this short block on the second time out due to tune(too much timing @ only 35*). I am now down to 32* full advance and it seems to be holding up. There is something to be said for very sensitive tuning when using iron heads, mega compression, and turning one much over 8000 for 15-20 seconds. What works well on the dyno will likely trash on the track.

I have another video of a 9100 rpm run where I also took first at St Peters MO fair. Not too good, my wife decided for some reason she had to cover her ears when I come by!!!

In my association I have pulled 7 times and won 5. I hope to do well at the MO State Fair next Sunday.

Thanks to all, for the very kind words.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kind of a multi-fold deal...a little more gear helps speed so long as you get it hooked, tames the rpm as long as you can still turn it, and while taming the rpm, maybe it'll allow the the relatively cheap Eagle rods to hold up a little better in this backup deal. :wink:

My truck does not have the capability to use different gears at the track. No "quick change" gear box or useable multi gear transmission. I run a T-18 and ProFab gutted NP205. If I had more gears...I'd probably be second guessing myself all the time :lol: !LOL

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bret,
I was surprised that you weren't at the pulls last night. They had a good crowd and a good turn out of trucks. I finfshed second out of 10 trucks with a pull of 371' to Scrivs 383'. The ProStreet trucks ran 400+'. I don't like running that far and alot of others didn't either. Here is a link to my pull last night.

http://media.putfile.com/iberia

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sounds GREAT :!: :!:

·
Registered
338 Posts
sure glad you had a good pull at fulton brett . we went last night to there mud drags at fulton and they used the same track . they tried to disk it but it wouldnt go into the packed dirt lol they took a water truck and soaked it down then turned us loose. it was zero to 150 plus mile an hour wheel speed in about 5 feet lol if that. just wheel hopping and going sideways everytime off and on the gas. anyone go to the marion county fair pull up here i should have stayed home and went and watched :D brad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts